gypsy's litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funbunbun

Reaction score
ok so the little solid one has to be a chocolate but where did it come from??

once again the father was a blue dutch and the mother a broken black mini rex {just so it's on this page as well:)}

here are some pics of the babies!! at 4 days old!!

this is "choco baby"

That paw print must have been a gift from God, nojoke. It's amazing, horses with stars that look like hearts, and evenmy friend's horse has a fish on his flank! That must be a very specialbaby, such dolls.

Ellie:D

One of your buns must have some chocolate genesin there somewhere... It happens like that sometimes. I had a friendwho bred her black lab to another black lab and they got one yellow pupin the litter. Just depends on the ancestory.

Pam correct me if iam wrong but i wastold colors can come from 3generations back of the mother rabbit ?

EEEM wrote:
Oneof your buns must have some chocolate genes in there somewhere... Ithappens like that sometimes. Just depends on the ancestory.
Correction - BOTH parents must carry the Chocolate recessive gene in order for it to show ;).

gypsy wrote:
Pam correct me if iam wrong but i wastold colors can come from 3generations back of the mother rabbit ?
It does not matter if it was 1 generation, 3 generations or 198generations ago... if the gene is there - it will show eventually.;).

That little Chocolate came from both your Broken Black MR doeand your Blue Dutch buck's recessive Chocolate gene... the odds justlined up right for it to be expressed.

~Sunshine

thanks guys! i really can't get over how much they are changing!!

thanks for explaning where the chocolate came from! i was really wondering about that!

Since you had a chocolate AND a blue, both yourparents carried blue and chocolate (obviously the buck did since he ISa blue...) so if it was a larger litter you probably wouldhave gotten a lilac, a purpley dove-gray color.

congrats on the babies!

dad is aa Bb (small b is chocolate) C_ dd (blue) E_ enen du_du_

mom is aa Bb C_ Dd (carries blue) E_ Enen (broken) Du_

notice that the broken has no color where a dutch pattern would be,unless it has some on the side of the nose where we cant see, or on theother side of the body... still...

**It does not matter if it was 1generation, 3 generations or 198 generations ago... if the gene isthere - it will show eventually. ;). **

Thanks for clearing that up Sunshine , i had no clue lol.

never mind that genetics boggle my mind .

Sunshine explained it very well. In order to produce a chocolate, *both* parents must carry the gene.

Recessive genes may not express themselves for many generations becauseit requires *two* recessive genes from each parent for the trait to beexpressed in the offspring.

Also remember that the pedigree only gives us a small portion of therabbit's ancestry. We don't have the info on aunts, uncles,and siblings, which would offer us more info on colorpossibilities. It's possible that chocolates popped up manytimes in that pedigree and that the sires, dams, and grand relationshad chocolates as siblings (but we don't have that info).

Pam

:)You're quite welcome! :)

I findrabbit genetics very facinating and at timescan getmyself carriedaway by them:p, I'mso glad at least this time I didn't ramble and really confuse everyone!;) But Pam, as always, summed up in a short paragraph whatwould have taken me nearly a page and a half! :shock::D

~Sunshine

Latest posts

Back