guinea pigs and rabbit together

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesska

Reaction score
they have said on the RSPCA site that they shouldnt be together i nether knew that because off

Different dietary needs - guineapigs require a diet higher in vitamin Cthan rabbits. Rabbits require a diet higher in vitamin D thanguineapigs.
Different language - Guinea pigs and rabbits communicate with eachother in very different ways, they're both better off with a friendthat talks the same language.
Injuries - Rabbits have very powerful backlegs and can injure a smallerguineapig friend by mistake even if the do get on most of the time.

but my rabbit cant harm the gini hes smaller than him only a dwarf, anddiet they have mix gini and bunny food 2gether so their gethin all theret requirements,i know they cant speek same lang but their reallyloving together,what am i ment to do now split them up :S

well i think pet shops sould get told of theyadvise you to get one cause they dont like to be alone,specially petsat home have it written on their cages to be put together geee

I know it isnt a very good idea, however i havea rabbit (a mummy rabbit) who lives with 4 guinea pigs. She became amother about a year ago now, and when her babies were weaned, shebecame increasingly lonely. She can't cope with living with a fullgrown rabbit (heaven know's why!). So i took the decision to putmyguinea pigs with her. It took a lot of thought anddeliberation on my part. However I felt, and still feel, that it wasthe best for her. She treats them like her own, literally. She mothersthem like she did her own babies.

Even though I've done it, I wouldnt recommend it. I realise that ifanything should happen, it would be my fault and my fault only. I'venot had any problems with them at all. I'm lucky in that i have a verylaid back bunny, she doesnt go mental at all; running round the hutchor whatever. I did what was best for my bunny, and my guinea pigs aremuch better off for it, they are happy too.

If you really dont want to split them up, then i urge you to consideranother guinea pig, and if possible, a nice big hutch/cage etc. Thatway, your rabbit gets plenty of exercise, and isnt likely to go off onone all of a sudden and your pig needs a friend. A bunny would be fineon its own, without a friend. Guinea pigs need friends though, as theyare highly social herd animals.

Again, if you want to do the best for your animals, sorting out yourguinea pig is the best thing you can do for now. The pig has to be moreof a priority for you than the bunbun, He'll be fine for now.

If you need any advice with the piglet, feel free to PM me, and ill see if i can help. :)

Good luck with the situation

oh yeah i guess ill have to split them upthen,so a 4 ft' out door cage b fine 4 2 ginepigs then,cause they therabbit and ginpig only went out side together in there runsand when my girl floss having her babys soon gunna get her neuteredwhen they leave home and so they can go in the run together so hedoesnt miss hes best mate gini,but i know them bunny will b finetogether cause they sometime get put in run together cause hes a babystill and not active yet,and she real mummy to him

Latest posts

Back