grumbly tummy?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katt

Reaction score
herman has free feeding (they both do, and onlyhave an empty bowl every once in a great while). . .they also get ahuge salad every night (around 2 cups per bun) and all the hay andfresh water they want

herman's belly is always grumbly. . .it always seems to be talking. ..is this normal? he is perfectly healthy, putting the weight back onthat he had lost in his travels, and is always ready to play. ..everything normal with the poops and all. . .does he just have a loudtummy? should i be worried?

Hmm...I'm honestly not sure, but hopefully someone will be by soon that'll know! :)

Hugs to you and your Herman!

Rosie*

Can you hear his tummy from a distance or just when he's up close to you? Gut sounds are not uncommon.

What type of feed are you using in their bowls? Timothy based? orAlfalfa? and how old are they? There are a lot of things thatcan affect gut sounds.

I give one bunny (Clover) unlimited as she is still under a year and sovery tiny, and her feed is alfalfa pellets, but Bo ------ he's a tadchunky LOL! and alfalfa is no longer good for him so he gets timothy.

OMG the first time I heard/saw Bo toot, I almostdied! I had no idea they would do that and he literally lifted hislittle bottom and tooted :embarrassed:

here is the lowdown on their food:

they get purina rabbit pellets, all they want. . .i have never had aproblem with either of their weight and don't feel i need to limit thefood as long as they aren't overweight (niether are).

around our dinner time, they get a plate of veggies, about 2 cups perbun, they normally finish it off in about an hour or 2 (veggie time isalso their run around time. . .so the dash to the food, nibble, thenrun off again). . .i stay away from classic gassy foods and normallythey get 2 different veggies a night (i am working at buying 3 veggiesat a time. . .one dark leafy green that they get every night, then itrade on and off with the other 2. . .normally parsley or dill andanother random veggie from houserabbit's list) this week they havegotten bok choi (sp?), mustard greeds, dill, and collard greeds, alongwith a few bites of pear and apple. they get a few bites of fruit everycouple of days and get treats like craisens normally once a day (andonly 1 or 2 a day)

they get all the water they want. . .and all the timothy hay they canhave, along with a small handfull of alfalfa (i mean *small*, basicallyenough for a nibble each). their pellets are alfalfa based. herman willbe a year old jan 22 and winnie will be2 july 16th. . . hedoesn't seem bloated or 'fartty' and normally i only hear it when he isin my lap or right next to me (although when i posted this, he wasacross my bedroom and i heard it, not very loudly but just enough thati knew what i was hearing)

No corn or anything in their feed is good.

Maybe they are getting too many veggies at one time. I thinkhearing it that far away is a bit worrisome. I'm not anexpert, but that's my guess..... If I heard mine that far away I'd beconcerned. That's just me tho.

I give greens also but I give about 1/2 to 1 cup each evening. If I give them more I split it into a morning treat.

Bok choy is classified as cabbage, so maybe that's making him a bit gassy?

Some type of vegetablemight not be agreeing with him. Does it happen often? Or after a certain group of vegetables?

maybe i will stay away from the bok choy, but itseems to be all the time. . .not right after his veggies, or when heeats only certain ones. . . it normally isn't very loud atall, just this one time (and then it wasn't a constant loudness, i justherd it a little. . .and thought i would ask).

i don't know why to many veggies would do it to him. . .but maybe i should cut it back?

he has always had a noisy tummy, even before they left, even at 7 weekswhen i got him (and he wasn't given a lot of veggies). . .i wonder ifit is just him?

katie

Could be just him, I guess. As withanything else, we're all different. We have a ewe thatbelches like a trucker! LOL!

The reason I think too many veggies at one time is that it's a totallydifferent thing going through their system than say pellets - moremoisture, and of course most veggies of any kind can cause gas.....healthy food = gassy food a lot of the time.

Might be his system just works well with a good helping of veggies eachday. He's sure cute! Is he a mini-lop? french lop? englishlop? LOL! I can't tell much from theavatar.

thanks. . .i wonder if it is just him too. . .iwill try cutting back the foods. . .or breaking veggie time into 2times a day and see if that helps, if it doesn't i am going to justassume it is just they way he works (unless he starts to look like heisn't feeling well, then i will get him to the vet, but if he is findand playfull and all, then why waste the money). . .

and yes, he is pure 100% english lop

100_0631-1.jpg

I read their story on the blogs late last night/early this morning - I've been having headaches and I don't sleep well.....

Anyhow, he is just beautiful! I'm so glad they're back with you, it's obvious how much they love and missed you!

I would be stroking and playing with those ears all the time!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I read their story on the blogs late last night/early thismorning - I've been having headaches and I don't sleep well.....

Anyhow, he is just beautiful! I'm so glad they're back with you, it's obvious how much they love and missed you!

I would be stroking and playing with those ears all the time!
oh, thank you! yeah, herman does get a lot of attention for those ears.. .it is the only anger i get from him, when i won't stop playing withthose ears. . .

Spring wrote:
:dunno:.

I'm stumped. Guess your little guy just has a grumbly tummy!

;)
:yeahthat

How are the 2 home-bunnies doing otherwise?

~Jim

PS:

:threadhijacked:...just for a momnet.

HI, BO!!!:wave2

he he he. . .jim. . .you can take over the treadanytime you want (really since we all have guessed that it is justherman, and nothing to health wise). . .

and they are doing great. . . how are yours?

Not too sure on the grumbly tummy thing I justwant to say please stay away from some of the veggies/ greens... If yousnap the veggie and it is "stringy" (like celery...) It is not goodsame goes wiuth diffrent trypes of greens.. (iceburg lettuce) So thatis the test before you feed it to your rabit snap it and make sure itis not that type of veggie... If a rabbit is on a good feedthey typically do not need "treats" but occasionally I do give minediffrent kinds of Hay and such... and Bread and oatmeal...(uncooked)

Nice looking English lop! I love them!!! And I can say that Ihad a English that sounded like he was GROWLING all the time.. Hewasnot... they have very sensitive throughts... where do you let themout to run? could he have "eaten" a peice of trash or dried leaf? Oranything in that nature? That is what we believed happened to mine, heate pine bedding...

GL hope he is ok

both my rabbits have gotten a mix of veggies,since they were 3 months old. . . i stay away from anything not on thehrs list, but know what my buns prefer and normally don't feed anythingoff their list(i have a list of safe veggies on the wall by the bunscage, and highlight one that they like)and when i do, it issmall amounts until i know how they handle it.

herman has run of the house (but mainly stays upstairs), i don't thinkit is from something he has picked up and eated, because he reallydoesn't pick things up and eat them (he will tear apart a book if leftfloor level, but doesn't really eat it) and it isn't a one time deal,it seems to be just how he is . . .his tummy is always grumbling. . .

katie

Latest posts

Back