Grooming

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeybunnie8

Reaction score
I was watching TV with my bun last night and Iwent to pick him up and I noticed matting in his fur. I flipped himover and he had matting in his armpits. I brushed them out, but insteadof the fur just untangling it kind of came out in clumps..Is thisnormal?I wasn't pulling really hard on it or anything.And hehas short fur so how often would I need to brush him to keep him frommatting?

BTW he was really good, let me brush his tummy while I held him on hisback.:pbut then when we were done he peed all over, I guesshe drank to much water earlier and needed to go and I didn'tnotice.:shock:eek:h well not his fault...exceptwe were on mybed...

What breed of bunny is it? Rex bunniesdon't need brushing at all. Bunnies with short fur, like minilops or flemish, maybe need brushed every few days (I honestly rarelydo mine). Rabbits with longer fur like fuzzy lops or angora'sneed brushed daily.

Jen

It also depends on how well your rabbit groomsthemselves. Peanut (mini lop) has short-to-medium hair, and keepsherself very well preened. But she never seemed to perfect cleaningher...nether regions. Several times a week I have to brush her lowerbelly and back end, or else it mats and gets really messy.

Yeah, Peanut is the same way. Underneath she isreally thick and fluffy. I would think that once a week would begood to brush his underside, make sure there aren't any mats.

I groom Peanut more often because she gets clingons on her hinder :? :p

Doesn't really sound like mats to me....Benny'skind like that. He's worse since Joon's been gone but I've beenbrushing him everyday. He's got thick short hair and his butt getstufts of hair. I just grab and pull. It comes right out with no work atall.

BunBun Mom wrote:
Doesn't really sound like mats to me....Benny's kind likethat. He's worse since Joon's been gone but I've been brushing himeveryday. He's got thick short hair and his butt gets tufts of hair. Ijust grab and pull. It comes right out with no work at all.
The tufts of fur may be from molting. Every few months the buns gothrough a molt/shead varying from light to heavy. My buns get tuftsanywhere they can't groom themselves very well.

The other night Brindle was getting upset with me because I wasfollowing her around pulling out the tufts from her tushie. I'd pullone out and she'd spin around real quick and then hop off. I'd followher and do it again. I'm surprised I didn't get nipped after the 4th or5th time.

Has anyone tried one of those pet hair rollers? Was wondering how that works...

I would definatley agree with Jen!
Rex rabbits don't barely need grooming with theirshort fur hair. Although, it would be best to groom your rabbits everyfew days or weeks. I groom Emmy at least twice a week and nothingreally has happened.

Long haired rabbits really need to be groomed at least every day or so. I hope everything works out!

xoxo Katy & Emmy

JimD wrote:
BunBun Mom wrote:
Doesn'treally sound like mats to me....Benny's kind like that. He's worsesince Joon's been gone but I've been brushing him everyday. He's gotthick short hair and his butt gets tufts of hair. I just grab and pull.It comes right out with no work at all.
The tufts of fur may be from molting. Every few months the buns gothrough a molt/shead varying from light to heavy. My buns get tuftsanywhere they can't groom themselves very well.

The other night Brindle was getting upset with me because I wasfollowing her around pulling out the tufts from her tushie. I'd pullone out and she'd spin around real quick and then hop off. I'd followher and do it again. I'm surprised I didn't get nipped after the 4th or5th time.
Boy, does that sound familiar! Does she alsolickher fur right after you pluck a tuft out, like you just messed it uplol? Mine does that to me all the time.:p

Brindle reminds me just like Emmy.
If i smooth or pat her fur..she goes ahead and licks her fur again like I've messed it up completley! Haha, silly rabbits.

I vaccum mine too. They enjoy it.Yesterday though, i took them outside to pluck the leftoverwinter coat, I plucked out these big chunks and all the birds came andtook the fur for thier nests. It was really cute

Latest posts

Back