Grooming my blanket instead of me...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunMommaD

Reaction score
So lately cookie has taken to "grooming" my blanket that I use when cuddled up on the sofa... The weird thing is that if he wants cuddles, whether I am in the room or not... He goes to this blanket and begins to lick and groom it... He also does this if I'm sitting on the sofa but the blanket is on the other end of The sofa... He will come running wanting to cuddle but instead of coming to me he goes to the blanket!?! Lol I have to pull the blanket over myself and then he will come and lick the blanket on me... It's very strange... He seems confused, or thinks that the blanket is "apart of me" because my hubby said that the other night when he went over and groomed the blanket forever! And then would look around for me... Almost like surprised I wasn't grooming him back? U think it confuses him that he can "smell" me on the blanket, even tho I'm not home? Hubs said he looked kinda stressed out after grooming the blanket for so long when I didn't reciprocate (cuz I wasn't home)
Should I maybe move the blanket when I'm not home? Or not worry about it?
Thoughts?? :?

My buns lick our sofa blankets, too. And the futon. And our clothes. Nearly everything that has our scent on it.

I'm not sure whether or not you should move the blanket. Personally, I would keep it around if it comforts Cookie. Are you sure if he is confused? Or just enjoys the familiarity of your smell?

Q does the same thing. She'll jump onto my bed and systematically lick the sheets. I think they just like the smell of their human....if I go over to her when she's doing it, she'll usually move between grooming me and grooming the stuff, but it's totally normal bun behavior....(to the extent that the Tip is normal...)

Thanks guys! Glad to hear he isn't the only one :)

And I'm not sure whether he is stressed or being comforted, as I've never seen him stressed cuz I just hear about it from my hubs when I'm not home... When I get home though, instead of greeting me he runs right ti the blanket and starts grooming it like crazy lol and when I finally come sit down he only comes over to me when I pull the blanket over... He also doesn't really groom me anymore :( just the darn blanket lol just very strange... Maybe some of this is just intensity, that will dissipate after his neuter next week?

Most likely. Q groomed me more and my stuff less after her spay. At least he's still a groomygroomy!! He wuvs his blankie! (And yes, that's HIS blankie now, not yours!)

Latest posts

Back