Grooming Jersey Woolys

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can use a puppy slicker brush on him. However, most wooly breeders have a blower. I personally don't havea blower and just use the brush instead. The blower does a much better job, but it can't get out mats.

Sharon

I had an American Fuzzy Lop foster, which I think have similar grooming requirements. I bought a fine tooth dog comb to groom him - it did a great job onhis coat. I thoroughly groomed twice a week. If there were any stubborn matts, I clipped them with a fine point scissor. Pay special attention to under the chin and in the "armpits". It's really not as daunting as you think!

Tinkerbell Rabbitry wrote:
I need to find out how to groom my Jersey Wooly. I'm going to have to get rid of hid I don't find out soon :(

-Hannah

Just groom it out with a regular slicker brush. Wooled rabbits tend to mat most where their bodies experience the most friction: behind the ears, in their armpits and at the base of their tail. Don't be afraid to push that fur back to get at the really deep knots too.

If that sounds like too much work consider giving the rabbit a haircut. It will make things much more manageable for you.

The woolies are one of the easiest breeds I know of to groom. With mats, just work them out with your fingers and then use a slicker or wide tooth comb. Just remember to do the belly and sides first and then the top. Usually, jrs (six months and under) have more of a cottany coat that needs a grooming two or three times a week. Then, when they shed out to their adult coats they need a grooming once a week or every other week. :)Good luck

Starlight Rabbitry wrote:
You can use a puppy slicker brush on him.  However, most wooly breeders have a blower.  I personally don't have a blower and just use the brush instead.  The blower does a much better job, but it can't get out mats.

Sharon

I don't have one either and decided cant get one now, Another breeder I was talking to suggested using an air compressor, I think I'm going to try that. Some one else suggested the canned air that is used to clean PC key boards, I was worried about doing that because it was cold.

-Hannah

Latest posts

Back