Got a question?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megs

Reaction score
I will be getting a bunny soon and me and family are very excited. We have done research about bunny care but we have one question.

We have heard pros and cons about Males and Females rabbits.

But which is a better gender to have?
Or are they both fine and there are no differences...?

Many thanks.....

Megs:)

When I bred lionheads - I always recommended bucks as pets. From my experience - in most breeds - the buck makes a better pet.

I think that part of the reason is that when you open a doe's cage - because she's made to be territorial she's like "what do you want?" and a bit protective. A buck however is like "YEAH!! You're here...its playtime..right?"

With that said - with my flemish giants - I find the does to be better pets.

I'm sure others will have different feelings on this though - I'm basing my thoughts on the breeds I've had...which are lionheads, holland lops, elops, flemish giants, netherland dwarfs, mini-lop, french lop and I forget what all else! Oh - Californians and New Zealands!

megs wrote:
We have heard pros and cons about Males and Females rabbits.
But which is a better gender to have?
I've had one of each, and both have been wonderful pets. Different, but each wonderful in his or her own way.

Rabbits differ so much in personality, it's hard to generalize.

We've rescued 32 rabbits. In either sex we've had both monsters (biters, missing bits of flesh and profuse bleeding) and really sweet companions. Just depends on the luck of the draw and then how well they get socialized at their start. Just have to find the "one" that is right for you.

[align=center]Out of my experiences, males have been sweeter, and I will always adopt males from now on... XD
Buuut again, it depends on who catches your eye. I have experienced very sweet females. I just prefer males.

I personally like male rabbits. Of course, I prefer male animals over female animals. I just find males to be sweeter :).

i prefer males simply because they are cheaper to fix! lol

if you'd asked me this yesterday, i would have told you my female is sweeter and more loving, then i found out SHE is a HE. so i guess that just shows how much it varies by rabbit, since i now have two males with very different temperaments!

megs wrote:
Well the breed we have found is a Netherland dwarf.
And i think you said you have had experience with those in the list?
I've had experience with them - but they're not one of my favorite breeds. We've had some sweet Nethies on here - and I can think of two girls (one of which passed away a few months ago)...that the whole forum fell in love with.

We even have a breeder on the forum who raises Nethies in the U.K. Her screen name is Polly.

Latest posts

Back