Good Pellets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnykinz

Reaction score
I feed my rabbits Country Acre rabbit feed. The first 2 ingredients are processed grain by products and forage products. I've read they're supposed to have timothy meal in them like Oxbow. Unfortunately Oxbow pellets cost $15 for a tiny bag compared to the Country Acre stuff at $7 for 25lb. Is this a good pellet or should I find something better?

I know of a lot of breeders who feed Country Acre, and they've seen good results from it. ;) I'm pretty sure that Country Acre is a timothy based pellet, but I've never heard that pellets are supposed to have timothy meal in them, just that they're timothy based.

I used to feed Dels brand of feed, but now I feed Purina Rabbit Chow, and eventually will switch to Purina Show Formula (or a different bag) when my feed store (Dels) gets it in. I guess it really depends on your bunnies - do they like their current feed? Are they doing okay on it?

Off-topic question, but is that pic in your avatar from Thurston County Fair? lol.

Emily

Yes, my rabbits like it and they seem to be doing fine on it. No, it's not Thurston County. It's the fair I got to and that's my bunny in a costume contest! :biggrin2:

I feed Oxbow Bunny-T. I agree, the price is insane, we found a way to get it at a True Value in another city by searching for the product:D. It has been kept quite reasonable as I called the place, they didn't currently carry it, but by advice on here, I was able to get the mgr to have 2 bags in at all times. :biggrin2: Not real sure about the "meal". I'd have to read up. For now.

Here's some info on pellets from the library:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12160&forum_id=17

I really really like Pfau's pellets. I have been breeding and raising rabbits for 10 years, and so far they are the best. I used to feed Purina, and switched to Show formula for awhile, but my rabbits were extremely unhealthy and their coat condition was terrible. I'm about to try a suggestion from another breeder of incorporating some Fiber 3 into my Pfau's pellets to lower the protein, If I find anything good from that I'll let you know. I looked up Oxbow today, and it's the biggest pile of crap I've ever seen. It's extremely low in protein (Only 12%) Rabbits need 14-16% to stay healthy. It's also ridiculously expensive. My personal (And rather pessimistic, I apologize) opinion is that Oxbow is a hoax to sell poor quality food to the ignorant for loads of money.

Latest posts

Back