Getting a rabbit friendly.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCatCar

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have a year old lionhead named oliver and he isn't very tame to me. He'll eat out of my hands when I have food or a treat but other than that he doesn't seem warmed up to me. Any tips?

It definitely takes some rabbits longer than others to bond with their human counterparts. The best thing you can do is be patient, talk to them ALOT, pet them gently on their head (its how bunnies bond to each other), and give them space when they want it. When I first got shifty home, I sat on the floor for about an hour, and I didn't pursue him AT ALL. I let him investigate, adapt, and come to me. Also I found the fourth edition of the house rabbit handbook to be my most helpful resource. Its by Marinell Harriman. Good luck! :)

All I can say is it does take time to bond with your bunny. And it's not always on your terms or what you think their bonding should be.

Someone just posted this on another thread. (Sorry forgot who did, but thank you). I'm finding it very enlightening on what goes through a bunny's mind.

http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

You need to get them to respect you, whether you are Alpha or not. It seems rabbits like to think they are the bosses of the household. I found that flipping my rabbits to their backs, will calm them and they know that they need to cool it on their alpha moments. Others will advise not to do this as this might scare your rabbit.

It's up to you to find a way to communicate. All rabbits are different. Having three that are so completely different personalities, proves this to me. And we are finding that we need to treat them differently.

It's all trial and error. Good Luck

K :)

Latest posts

Back