Gettin my bunny a friend

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwi

Reaction score
Hi all

Sincei rescued my bunny Halfpint 3 months ago he has beenkept by himself i have giving him plenty to do but i think he needs afriend. obviously i'll have to get him neutered but wondering whether ishould get a girl bunny or a boy bunny to be his friend. he is alreadyover a year so i will try to get a rescue about the same age but notsure how he will act. i intend to geta new cage when i gethim a mate as the current cage he has wouldnt suit 2 bunniesso there hopefully won't be too many territorial issues, but is thereanything else i need to think about?

all suggestions are appreciated

thanks

From what I've heard.....boy/girl pairings are easier to bond. It is harder to bond two boys - but I can't guarantee that.

I think the best thing is to take him with you and let him pick out his new friend. I bet he'd like that!

I don't have much advice but I'm sure others will have a ton. Good luck!

Peg

Getting your boy neutered is definitly the firststep. Then I would wait about a month before taking yourlittle man out on some dates.

Best bet would be to try to make arrangements with a local rescueorganization or a local shelter to bring your boy in for some dates.

Any bunny that you guy doesn't immediatly fight with shouldwork. Signs of a good start are ignoring each other, groomingones self in front of the other bunny, flops, and grooming eachother. If you get any of those signs, it's prettymuch love at first sight or they are just very comfortable with eachother.

Generally boy/girl pairs work best, but that doesn't mean it'simpossible to do boy/boy. If the personalities are right,they can get along. I've got one girl and two boys livinghappily together, but they are all really laid back and the girl keepsboth boys in line.

Good luck!

--Dawn

cool thanks

i was planning on getting him neutered at easter then going out andfinding him a friend when i finish university and move back home injune so he will have a couple of months to recooperate after the opbefore i introduce him to new bunnies, i like the idea of letting himchose his friend ill definitely try that when i start looking

thanks again

Latest posts

Back