Garlic in water bottles?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kizza

Reaction score
There is a facebook group that I am a member of and someone said to put garlic in your rabbit's water to help with fleas, as well as using revolution.

This doesn't sound like a good idea to me, does it sound silly to anyone else? I just want to warn this other person not to follow this advice if it is wrong :S

I've never heard of this~maybe its ok, but I'm highly doubting the fact taht 1) it will help and 2) that the rabbit will then drink the water. Yep, sounds on the sillier side to me. ;)

Please dont use garlic, garlic is actually toxic.
Garlic for fleas is an old wives tale... its just like putting butter on a burn... dont do it!
Revolution does its job on its own, with out killing your pets :)

Yeah there is no way I would be doing it, someone just said that as a response to a question someone else had :S Its scary that people think these things are a good idea.

there's a lot of bad advice out there especially on the internet so it's always good to check on a forum like this one because even if someone does give bad advice someone usually comes along shortly to correct it.

Sounds stupid as well as possibly dangerous. I eat a lot of garlic laden foods and hot things that would kill a normal person. The uptick is that fleas and mosquitos don't usually bother me.

There is a facebook page for rabbit people in Australia and the person who runs it asked about flea treatments and someone said put garlic in their water which I think it a VERY bad idea as it is the same as feeding them an onion.

I told her it was toxic but then other people started arguing with it, common in a forum like environment. I just really hope she doesn't do it. I just said if you aren't sure talk to your vet. Hopefully he says it is toxic also :S

Makes me sad when people do things like this to their pets it isn't fair on them.

What is it with people? What about being toxic is debatable? I hope she doesn't do it either :(

I think just sticking with the revolution and cleaning well to remove as many hiding spots for fleas/eggs would be best... I doubt a rabbit would want to drink water with a strong garlic taste. Maybe they stop drinking water and get so dehydrated the fleas have a hard time sucking blood and give up? Doesn't sound like a good idea...

That does sound silly. I would not do it at all and I would ask the vet about it. It sounds like that group isn't very knowledgeable about rabbits, or it could be.

Latest posts

Back