Furminator or alternatives?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouse_chalk

Reaction score
I've been beaten down by the fluff enough now- we need a furminator!!! :shock:

But, looking on Ebay, they're quite expensive- £20 at cheapest with shipping, and I'm a little challenged in the financial department for non-essentials right now....

Does anyone know of any sort of very similar effective alternatives that might be cheaper, or where I may be able to find a cheap Furminator in the UK?

I seem to remember that someone on here bought something similar recently that was quite cheap, but for the life of me I can't work out who it was!

Thanks! :)

I am in the same boat. I have had enough of Marlin's long & wooly hair all over my house. It is EVERY WHERE. You should see my black curtains down the hall way from the bunny room :grumpy:. I am almost ready to cut his hair as short as I possibly can.

I looked on Ebay a little while ago for a Furminator and found one for $6.00 US...hopefully my big wins on it. If not, then Marlin gets a hair cut.

I don't know about any alternative's but i love my furminator that Patti (slavetoabunny) so kindly posted one out to me because we don't have them here in Australia...that i know of anyway....of course i payed more for it but i'm actually happy with it....i cannot believe what a good job it does...my bunnies are starting to moult...probably because spring is coming upon us here...and i know the furminator will be getting a good work out :)

Thanks! :)

I found the other one that I think I was on about earlier, in the Library (God bless the Library!)- the Shed Ender?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHED-ENDER-PROFESSIONAL-PET-BRUSH-AS-SEEN-ON-TV-RRP-20_W0QQitemZ270267690733QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270267690733&_trkparms=72%3A12|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

It looks similar to the furminator from what I can see, but a lot cheaper...

Worth a go you think?

Jen.....the Shed Ender is the same comb as the Furminator. The difference is in the handle. The Furminator handle is easier to use for most bunny slaves. Keep in mind that these products were designed for dogs/cats. NOT recommended for long hair breeds. I have an American Fuzzy Lop right now that is challenging.

I recently got a Furminator at a pretty good price, but I'm in the States. I don't know anything about buying one in the UK.

I get the coupons in my email for PetSmart ('cause my fiance gets our Feline Pine/Exquisicat litter there), and I had one for $10 off a purchase of $50 or more. (There was also one for $5 off $20, and $10 off $40.) I also found a mfgr. coupon online for $5 off any Furminator. When I went to purchase the Furminator, they had 14-lb bags of Exquisicat on sale for $5 each, so I got 4 of those and the smallest Furminator. All together after coupons and tax, I paid $38 for everything.

Anyone in the US, search for Furminator coupon, and you should find the mfgr coupon. I think PetSmart takes their own expired coupons, so you should be able to search to find those coupons, too, if you shop at PetSmart.

Sorry I can't help with the UK. :(

Guys make sure you check your local buy and sells, you know the ones online. It would be named things like this: usedwinnipeg.com or winnipegbuyandsell.com and also kijiji too! Those are three used sites that you can check but of course you would also have to use your own city as thos were just examples using my city.

Mousechalk, there is one online on the buy and sell in my city. I have made an offer to the man selling it for ten dollars. I could ship it to you if I get it for that cheap. I don't imagine shipping would be that expensive from Canada to where you are, I think the UK? If I get it I will let you know and you can decide if you want me to ship it to you.

Shannon

I bought the shed-ender in place of the Furminator on eBay for £2....

DON'T BUY IT!

It works, but only as well as my zoom-groom which I use for the vets.. it isn't a 'super-comb'. I think the problem is that (like Patti said to me) the handle isn't as good, which means you can't get enough fur out. I'd say get the Furminator, as people have said it definitely works...

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

ilovetoeatchocolate wrote:
Mousechalk, there is one online on the buy and sell in my city. I have made an offer to the man selling it for ten dollars. I could ship it to you if I get it for that cheap. I don't imagine shipping would be that expensive from Canada to where you are, I think the UK? If I get it I will let you know and you can decide if you want me to ship it to you.

Shannon
$10 is like £5 to me!!!! OMG that would be amazing Shannon if you could! The cheapest I can find them on Ebay today is £22 including postage, so anything cheaper than that is great! There are actually people selling them for £40, which is about $80 :shock: If you can't get it don't worry, but if you can, I'd definately take you up on that offer... :)

Oh, and thanks for the advice Fran! I will stay away! :D

Dublinperky wrote:
I have a Furbuster which works great!
Furbuster is news to me. What Slavetoabunny said, I think the Shed Ender, Furminator, and the Furbuster are all the same or similar metal combs. Don't get the Shed Ender (I have it) as the handle gets in the way. The Furbuster looks promising as you canuse 3different size blades (optional) on the same handle.You only need the small size for rabbits. Going to have to check it out.

The man won't take anything less the thirty dollars Mousechalk. I don't know what that is in UK dollars? He said it has only been used four times.

I am going to email him in a week or so to see if it is sold or not. Maybe he will take lower if no one is interested in it. The longer it goes unsold the more willing he may be to lower the price.

Shannon

ilovetoeatchocolate wrote:
The man won't take anything less the thirty dollars Mousechalk. I don't know what that is in UK dollars? He said it has only been used four times.

I am going to email him in a week or so to see if it is sold or not. Maybe he will take lower if no one is interested in it. The longer it goes unsold the more willing he may be to lower the price.

Shannon
Eek! I just realised you're in Canada not the US lol.... Aah, it makes no difference, the exchange rate is about the same (It seems like the world clock and yahoo currency converter are permenant windows in Firefox lol...)

$30 is £15-16.... so with shipping that would bring it quite a bit over £20, which I can just about find on Ebay now, so it's probably easier to do that... Thank you so much for trying though! :hug:

We are soooo in need of that Furminator- I just had Barney up for a cuddle and I pulled so much fur off him- I was nearly choking on it! :shock:

ARGH!!!!

Steve wont agree with me that we need a Furminator..... Even after I combed Barney and got 2 big handfuls of hair out! :shock: He reckons 'we've done fine up until now' Uh, hello? A rabbit with stasis this weekend (unknown cause but could be due to hair blockage), fur flying everywhere??? :grumpy:

:tantrum:

I'm working on him and my goal is to have a Furminator bought and on its way from Ebay by the end of the day.... ;)

WOOHOO!!!!!

:dancingorig:

I won, like I said I would! At approximately 11.15 last night the Furminator was ordered!!! Steve's old iPhone (he has the 3G one now) sold for a lot more than he'd hoped on Ebay, so he was in a good mood and much more willing to concede.... :biggrin2:

:bunnydance:

Gosh, I sound like such a demanding girlfriend don't I? I promise I'm not, only where the bunnies are concerned lol! :)

mouse_chalk wrote:
Gosh, I sound like such a demanding girlfriend don't I?
No,you just know what you want and know how to get it. :p

I just went to Petsmart this morning. The small furminator with the 1 3/4"combcosts $42.99 :X
And the Furbuster with the 2" comb costs $24.99 :?
Both are similar in style and blades.

The only difference is the Furbuster has an interchangeable 2", 2 3/4" , and 4" combs that you can buy as a kit for $59.99

Pet_Bunny wrote:
mouse_chalk wrote:
Gosh, I sound like such a demanding girlfriend don't I?
No,you just know what you want and know how to get it. :p
Oh yeah, that's definately true... LOL!

[align=center]:shock::shock::shock: OH MY GOSH!!!! I LOVE THE FURMINATOR!!!! :shock::shock::shock:
[/align]
It arrived this morning, and I just had Barney up on the garden table for a demo. I think I brushed about half of his fur out!! He didn't seem to like it at first (perhaps as I was only just starting out too) but within no time he was sat down grinding his teeth all happy, and loving it! Then of course he wanted to stay on the table for lots of pets and kisses... lol! :D And he looks sooo much neater now as well....

I am SO glad we got one... it's more than worth the money I'd say! :biggrin2:

slavetoabunny wrote:
Jen.....the Shed Ender is the same comb as the Furminator.  The difference is in the handle.  The Furminator handle is easier to use for most bunny slaves.  Keep in mind that these products were designed for dogs/cats.  NOT recommended for long hair breeds.  I have an American Fuzzy Lop right now that is challenging.

What do you recommend for longer hair breeds? I have a jersey wooley...

Latest posts

Back