Fur pulling

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bammoxx

Reaction score
I have a 9-month old darling Dutch femalebunny. I've had her since she was a month old. Shehas recently started to pull her fur out and build a nest of some sortinside her little house in her cage. I'm not sure of anyreason for her to do this. I know bunnies will do it whenthey are expectant mothers, but she is my only rabbit and hasn't beenaround any other rabbits. What are reasons for her to do this?

Basically she is telling you that she really,really, really wants to have babies!!! She is readyto. I wouldn't worry about it. She is not hurtingherself and will eventually stop...may take a few days.

Sharon

BTW - Dutchis my favorite breed!!! Obviously Jersey Woolies are second! Any pics of her?

Aww, really? I know she is the onlybun around here.. maybe she wants a boyfriend, lol.I dunno, I should start looking for one... baby buns are socute...

Here's a picture of her lazy self on my couch! It's kind ofan old picture, I should go get some more of her... lol.

Here's another that I just took :D You can even see a little bit of fur laying beside her that came out of her house!

Cute bunny. :) Just becauseshe's pulling fur doesn't mean you should breed her. In factI discourage it. Baby bunnies are cute but finding goodloving homes is a problem and most babies (and later adults) end up inhumane societies. The simple solution would be to get herspayed.

I'd like to breed her... I know someother breeders that might be interested.. Although I'm notsure :/ I don't think I could afford to get herspayed. Maybe I could get her a fixed male friend, or afemale friend. The only friend she has now is my cat, buthe's scared of her!

There are homeless rabbits in the shelters dying. PLEASE DO NOT breed your rabbit for their sake.

Bammoxx wrote:
I'd like to breed her... I know some otherbreeders that might be interested.. Although I'm not sure:/ I don't think I could afford to get her spayed.Maybe I could get her a fixed male friend, or a femalefriend. The only friend she has now is my cat, but he'sscared of her!
No offence, but if you can't afford to get her spayed, you can't affordto breed her! Medical emergencies are far more likely to popup with a pregnant bunny, or with thebabies!

sas :shock:and pipp:bunny5

Very true.. I think my best bet wouldbe just to get her a friend bunny. I know I can afford tworabbits though :D They aren't as bad as 7 littlebunnies... -shudder- I remember when I used tobreed rabbits. It was fun, but the mother washorrible.

Yes, a companion would be wonderful. Just make sure that they are both fixed:)

Yes, unspayed girls can beat the tar out of evenneutered males that trespass in their territory, I've heard! Not thatthat can't happen with two altered animals, but I'll vouch for thecrazy aggressive hormones that surfaceduring falsepregnancies (like your doe is doing right now).

Rose

So if Bam wants a companion for the bunny anddoesn't have the funds to get her spayed, what's the bestbet? Will a spayed and unspayed female get along any betterthan an unspayed female and a neutered male? Is two unspayedfemales even more trouble?

What about taking her to a rescue center and letting her pick herownmate?That's still goingtocost some money, but less than paying for the spay orneuter yourself.

sas :)and pipp:bunnydance:

Just a thought...

I'd probably not suggest a male companion, neutered or other.If she's pulling fur now, without another rabbit around... I'd suspectwith the addition of a male to the household, the situation wouldworsen. :?

Hm, this is confusing me now... I knowthat next week I'm hoping to make about $100. What's theaverage price for a spaying? I know it varies from place toplace, but just an average would help. I think after she'sspayed I'll still get her a companion, I've been wanting to ever sinceI got her, heh. She wouldn't be such a lonely bun then.

Latest posts

Back