Fur Mites...need help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cupcake

Reaction score
Although I have read through some of Carolyn's great links on Healthcare , I still have a few questions.

Cupcake had a few bald spots near the base of her neck recently& I thought it may just be caused by shedding or something. Nowthe fur loss seems to be spreading further down into her back &there are black spot/scab type things on her skin.

I suspect these are fur mites or something related. In one post I readCarolyn talked about drowning "ear mites" with mineral oil. Can yousame be done for "fur mites"??

If there is something I could try at home first before going to the vet again I would appreciate any advise

Thanks so much!!

Sue

Ivomec injections or some of the flea productsmentioned in previous threads would be your best bet for wiping out themite infestation.

Pam

If it were me I'd visit the vet. I knowyou'd rather treat it at home but just to be safe i'd try to find outthe problem from the vet.

Think I may have to bite the bullet & goto the vet again. This cute little bun has cost me hundreds of dollarsin vet bills so far. I hope for my duaghter's sake it is fur mites& we can get rid of them quickly

Thanks for your help.

Sue

I use ivermectin 1.87% horse worming pasteavailable in most feed/farm/equestrian supply stores. Itcosts about $12-$20 per tube, depending upon where you buyit. One tube will treat an 1200 lb horse once for worms.

Same tube will treat one rabbit for worms, fur mites and/or ear mitesmany, many, many, many times. Place one pea-sized dollop onthe bun's forepaw or nose, whereupon it will be ingested as the bun"cleans" itself.

Repeat treatment in another 10 day to eradicate and newly hatched mitesthat were safely encased in eggs during first treatment.Repeat again in another 10 days asinsurance all mites have beeliminated.

Save tube until it is needed again. "Pea-sized" in not a critical measurement, just estimate that.

Or, go to a vet for three injections of ivermectin liquid spaced overan equivalent time on an equivalent number of visits. Eithermethod should work equally as well.

Buck

Hey My bunny had fur mites I think, I tried aflea and tick spray, and that seemed to solve the problem for a bit, Ithink she might still have them tho, if u go to the vets, can u give mesome advice on what they did.

Latest posts

Back