FUNKY BREED

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynzilouwho

Reaction score
MY COUSIN AND I HAVE A HARLEQUIN DUTCH AND APOLISH RABBIT AND I THINK THAT THE DUTCH IS PREGNANT. ARETHEY GOING TO BE FUNKY LOOKINGBABIES OR ARE WE OK THIS ONETIME???

Wait a minute. Its pregnant? Was this an intentional breeding?

Cross breeding is never a good idea. Do you have the caging, andnesting equipment for the babies? Do you have the extra money for vetbills? Do you homes lined up for the babies. You do realize that thatwhen rabbits kindle they can have up to eight or more babies right?Also every time you breed a mutt rabbit it displaces good gomes forshelter and responsibly bred animals. I mean look at all the pet muttbunnies on petfinder. Rabbits cost money, and you shouldnt be breedingperiod until you know what you are doing.

Now to answer your question, I have no clue. You can come up with anything to polish looking rabbits to mismarked dutch.

dixons..this is an extention of another threadthis person started earlier stating that they had bought two bunniesand if was okay to keep them housed together here's the thread...i hopeshes not pregnant...if she was i think it was from ignorance notintentional, even though the person had stated they intended onbreeding the two later on.....read for yourself :(

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=8420&forum_id=1

NO IT WAS NOT INTENTIONAL THE PET STORE TOLD USTHAT THEY WERE TO YOUNG TO BREED, I DONT KNOW IF SHE IS PREG THEY DIDDO IT , DO THE GET PRE FROM ONE TIME?

lynzilouwho wrote:
MY COUSIN AND I HAVE A HARLEQUIN DUTCH AND A POLISH RABBITAND I THINK THAT THE DUTCH IS PREGNANT. ARE THEY GOING TO BEFUNKY LOOKINGBABIES OR ARE WE OK THIS ONE TIME???

If you're talking deformities, crossbreeding doesn't necessarilyincrease the likelihood of those. If you mean coloring, yup, you'llprobably get some interesting colors.

Hoping the doe's not pregnant, because 12-wk-olds don't really have much in the way of maturity, physical or mental.

Good luck, and I would echo what others have said as to separation ifyou are already having mating/dominance issues. Are you sure you have amale? It's really hard to tell sometimes. You might get lucky on thepregnancy thing--two of my kits were accidentally put together by their8-yr-old owner at 3 mo. oldor so, and nothing happened. Notthat I'd count on that or anything.

Rsoe

I WAS TOLD THAT WE COULD KEEP YOUR RABBITSTOGETHER AND I DIDNT KNOW WHAT BREEDS MY RABBITS WERE TILL LAST NIGHTAND I DIDNT KNOW THAT YOU COULDNT BREED DIFF KINDS. I DIDNT WANT TOBREED THEM IF THEY WERE NOT THE SAME BREED

Please don't type in all caps, it's hard on the eyes.

Generally, it's a good rule to never trust what you hear from a pet store.

I did not know this was an extended thread. AllI can say is if these rabbits are really pregnantyou had bestget them pulpated by a vet, or an experienced breeder. That way anypregnancy can be determined. Also were they sexed properly? Andpetstores are the worste places to get your rabbits from. You dont knowwhats in their backgrounds, or what diseases they are exposed to. Oreven if they are purebred. If you want to breed rabbits after this,then I suggest youattend some rabbit shows and learn aboutdoing it right. Hook youself up with a good rabbit breeder mentor fromthose. But if you just want pets then get them spayed asap.

lynzilouwho wrote:
I WAS TOLD THAT WE COULD KEEP YOUR RABBITS TOGETHER AND IDIDNT KNOW WHAT BREEDS MY RABBITS WERE TILL LAST NIGHT AND I DIDNT KNOWTHAT YOU COULDNT BREED DIFF KINDS. I DIDNT WANT TO BREED THEM IF THEYWERE NOT THE SAME BREED

You can breed different breeds, physically and geneticallyspeaking. That's where all our crossbreeds come from, andmost are normal and healthy. It's just not advisablebecause they are hard to find homes for.

A risk with non-pedigreed animals is of course that you don't know whatrecessive traits they may carry, such as tooth problems, etc.

Rose

i wish that i would have known all of thisbefore i got the bunnies. i want to take the time to thankyall for helping me. i wish that the pet store knew what theywere talking about.

Most petstores don't have a clue. If you want todo something read all the good rabbit books you can get your hands on.Hrs and anything published by arba are the best to read. storeysguidebook to raising rabbit is another good one. Its mostly forbreeding. But can be used by pet owners too.

Latest posts

Back