Freshly bonded pair peeing in all corners of NIC Condo

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meeka85

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a freshly bonded pair of spayed female bunnies. They were put in their new NIC Condo on Saturday. I have two litter boxes on the bottom level of the cage. They use both, but also pee in the other two corners (and from what I can tell, once on one of the shelves, and the shelves are covered with carpet). Right now the bottom is a sheet of plywood with a blanket covering it. On Saturday, I am building a base that has linoleum on plywood for the base. Is the peeing because they are getting used to their new cage.. should I get two more litter boxes? Is linoleum okay for the bottom level?

Thank you!

What did you put in the litterbox, any hay? I started litter training my new bun and I put some cilantro in with the hay. She took to her box right away, no problem. Plus since their new to the condo they could just be marking and it will go away after a few days.

Linoleum is fine if it's not too slippery. If it is, you could use sandpaper or steel wool on it.

Could it be they aren't as well bonded as you'd thought?

I've been using the same litter that I was using when they were in their separate cages, it's a recycled paper pellet litter. They DO use the litter boxes.. just everywhere else too lol. I didn't put hay in them... going to give that a whirl and see if it helps.

And thank you for the suggestion on the linoleum. Going shopping for it tomorrow, so will see if I can find one that isn't very slippery.

I have never put hay in my litter boxes...and I have had great success with litter training! A few of mine, like the 7 month old male I have now have been meticulous about using the litter box and never making a mess in the house! Numerous people on RO have suggested hay in the litter box as well. Is there anyway you can block the other two corners temporarily until they get used to their new cafe and using the litter boxes? Good luck!

I built a base with my dad that is linoleum covered instead of the blanket, and that seems to have solved the problem. They aren't going on the floor anymore. Now they are using just the litter boxes and sometimes the shelves... so popping a litter box on a shelf or two... hopefully that will get them peeing in the same spot where it doesn't ruin carpet.

My boys seemed to do that too when I moved them into the new NIC condo. I put a litterbox in every stinkin' corner for a few days then removed them one at a time, and that seemed to help.

Latest posts

Back