fresh veggies and bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annkierst1

Reaction score
Hello All

It's been a while. To all the bunnie lovers out there, I havea question. Can bunnies eat the "stalk" part of thebrococli. Lola loves the bottom portion of the freshbroccolli that I buy. I know she loves carrots and otherfresh veggies, but my question is does it hurt them. How muchis enough. Lola and I will sit on the couch and eat freshbroccolli, cauliflower, carrots dipped in ranch dressing. SHELOVES THE STUFF!!!:D

i just do not want to overfeed her or cause her to be sick.My daughter Kiersten will kill me if lola get sick while she'saway. Speaking of away, since my daughter has been gone, Lolaand I have finally come to an agreement. She stays out of myway and I stay out of hers!!! We come together every fridayand watch the tele and eat fresh veggies!

Thank you,

annkierst1 (annette and kiersten) and lola

Hi, I think a small portionof veggies is good every day and won't harm Lola. But don't feed hersugary veggies everyday, she might get fat. I think the stalk part ofthe brocoli is good. I don't think you should give her ranch dressingsince it has dairy products and those aren't good for bunnies:)

Actually I believe the stems and leaves are the best part of brocolli for your girl.

NIX the ranch dip tho! LOL not good and just fattening also. (ok you can have it but not her! :p)

Also, remember that cauliflower and broc and those things are gassyveggies.... that's not a good thing for her to have a lot of.

Hi Annkierst1,

Nice to meet you. Lucky for you Lola eats the bottom and youget the tops. lol. I would limit broccoli becauseit is high in calcium which is not good for bunny. You couldsee that in her pee, a thick cauky whiteliquid.Make sure she gets plenty of hay. What kind of rabbit is Lola?

Rainbows! :)

I agree with Nepo's mom. Rabbits caneat the stalk part of broccoli. I leave out broccoli alongwith other veggies every day. But my rabbits don't eat thestalk. It is totally safe for them toe eat the stalk ofbroccoli.

Ally

Lola can definitely have the broccoli stems. That is Apollo's favorite part.

If you check out the rabbit Cheat Sheet at the top of theforum, you'll find all kinds of help with what Lola can have.

Tina

Hi Ann,

Tina's right on with her advice. They can have it and enjoy it, and youwould like the links in the Cheat sheet. Skip the ranch dressing, nomatter how much she likes it.

I read a couple of years ago that brocolli can cause gas in rabbits,but and I don't have any evidence to back it up. Regardless, I don'twant to take the chance, so I go light with it with my rabbits.

So glad to hear all is well with you and yours.

:)

-Carolyn

I agree with everyone here. The stemsare the best part, but no ranch dressing. I give freshveggies every day, and a lot of them. My vet told me there isno limit to the amount of veggies they can have. So they eattons as long as their poops stay good.

Jen

cirrustwi wrote:
Sorry for the double post, my computer didn't register the first one for some reason.

I deleted it, Jen.

Have you seen the post about Flopsy, the oldest rabbit in the Guinness Book of World Records?

I'm going to bump it up for you. Interesting story about rabbits and vegetables as their diet.

:)

-Carolyn

Hello Rainbow

Lola is a huge white bun with red eyes. She looks likeApollo!! Maybe they could make baby buns!!:D Thankyou all for the advice. I will chill on the ranchdressing. Lola really loves it. She is a very pickybun. Won't eat a lot of things regular buns will eatthough. So I am just happy that Lola and I came to anagreement. (smile) We really get along well. Somehow she stop trying to "eat into things" like my wires which are out ofher way but she use to try to get to them or the back of mytele. Dosent do that anymore. Very happy bunnyespecially when kiersten is home.

Thanks guys

annkierst1

Carolyn wrote:
Iread a couple of years ago that brocolli can cause gas in rabbits, butand I don't have any evidence to back it up. Regardless, I don't wantto take the chance, so I go light with it with my rabbits.
I've heard that, too, but I feed it to my rabbits and have had noproblems. They seem to love broccoli more than most things, lol.

I think it's safe to assume that the leafs are not gassy (are they?) so they can be fed regularily.

Don't be a stranger, Ann! :)

Nice to see you, Laura.

As they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I think it was the flower part that could cause gas; it may have justbeen a myth. As I said, I don't recall the evidence that could back itup, I just read it a few years back.

I understand the same to be true for Brussel Sprouts and Cauliflower.If your boys love it and they don't seem to have any ill effects fromit, then I wouldn't be too alarmed.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back