Found Don Cheetos first Owner!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheetos mom

Reaction score
Well. as many of you remember we found ourrabbitt about a month ago, on Mother's day. Originally, I was justgoing to catch him so that he didn't become cat food. After spendingabout an hour with him, I grew very attached. He was loving, gentle andfriendly.

My husband and I decided that we would give him back if we could findthe owner, but we wouldn't actively pursue finding him /her.

Well, my step daughter and step son came over for the weekend. Theybefriended a little girl (approx. 10) and her friend from theneighbourhood. They came over and my step daughter showed them DonCheeto.

The two neighbourhood girls immediately looked at each other andagreed. "That looks exactly like Lucky, only much bigger!" And thenexplained that she, Amber had lost "Lucky" the day before Mother's Day.

My husband, my stepdaughter and I all looked at each knowingly.

My husband and then went inside and we debated what to do. We both knewwhat was the "right thing", but neither one of us wanted to do it.

I went back outside and told Amber the truth. I explained that he washer bunny, but I really didn't want to give him back, but I would. Sheshrugged it off and said that she would be getting another one whenthey could get a bigger cage.

I told her to let me know and I would give her dad some money towards the new one.

I also tried to inform her of the affectionate rabbits I saw at thelocal pet store. Too late, she already knew which ones I was talkingabout.

It was soooo nice to tell the truth. I got some background re: age,definate gender, likes (bizarre ones I already knew, like the Cheetos!)and dislikes. And there was no guilt associated with taking a child'spet.

Well, she didn't seem to care, so why shouldyou?!?! I mean, that may sound mean...but didn't seem to phase her,woulda been different if she'd started crying! Hopefully they just goget another one and let you keep him! Keep us posted!

PGG,

Actually, I don't think so much that she didn't care. I just think thatshe had previously resolved herself to the idea that she would neverget him back.

She seems to be a very loving animal oriented girl.

She also had proceeded to inform me of the same diet you all here recommend. She definately knows her stuff.

She's also a rat lover. She made a big fuss over my Stella.

Thats good....plus I'm sure she could see he waswell cared for and I'm sure that helped as well....and she may havebeen thinking all this time he was dead and very happy to see thatwasn't the case!

Be sure to keep us informed on what you find out!

I was so afraidto read this post , I amso glad everything worked out , thephrase he looks like, but muchbigger , does set me up to wonderabout his previous diet tho , eventhos she was knowledgabledoesnt mean thats what she haddone ya know.

So glad you get to keep Mr Cheeto lover !!! .

Thanks Gypsy,

I too wonder a bit about his old diet. He was rather spiney... Ambertold me he was a real little bunny when she got him about three monthsago, so I am guesstimating the is probably only a max. of five monthsor so.

She also believes he is a male. Supposedly, that's what they told her at the pet store.

She also confirmed that he had been rather poked and proded by her fiveyear old brother, thus explaining why he is so gentle with my 2 yearold. (I do heavily watch my son's interaction with the bun).

Like Gypsy, I was also afraid to read this post,knowing how attached you have all become to Don Cheeto, but I thinkit's great for you - and Cheeto - that you are staying together. Seemslike Fate steeped in and gave you to each other :)

Jan

Thanks Jan!

I couldn't have asked for a better outcome. Everyone, including DonCheeto aka Lucky, seems to have come out fine. I got answers to many ofmy questions and I get to keep an incredible animal!!

Amber confided that she hadn't had him that long and that our monthwith him was too long of a bonding time to comfortably take him away.

We also agreed that she could come see him anytime - that probablyincludes today since she's still here since yesterday! (We had a housefull of children last nite - eight!!)

:)

Thank you all for being concerned about my potential loss, especially after the loss of my rat, Moxley on Thursday!

I'm really glad you found the first owner -because I think it will help in the long run. You won'tconstantly be wondering if you'll have to give back the bunny someday -and you know its ok that you keep him. As much as I missMurphy/fluffy (the bunny I rescued and then returned even though Ididn't want to) - I'm glad that I had some closure to the whole affair- even though in my case, he returned to his owners.

It sounds to me like your bunny was "lucky" to find you folks!

Peg

Thanks Tiny's Mom,

You're 100% right about the closure.

There are some other positive ramifications. Amber is going to get the white rabbitt at the pet store that we both so liked.

She and my step daughter have become real close and I anticipate thatshe'll be over her again in 2 weeks. I can tactfully (If I am capableof it) ensuring that this new bun remains safe and healthy (I may needall of your help and input.)

Amber also introduced me to her friend Melissa (another girl from theneighbourhood), who has a female rabbitt. I was there when Melissa said"Good now we can have baby bunnies like we planned."
HELL NO!! I explained all the negative aspects of having kits and theserious responsibility and all the other "horror" stories relayed thruthis forum.

I asked Melissa if she would feel the same if her mama bun killed her babies....

Anyway, you're right, he is Lucky! So, am I for having found this forum!!

Latest posts

Back