food proportion questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MszGenevieve

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm currently feeding my bunny Ox Bow for young rabbits & when I got him I was told to feed him 1/4 a cup of pellets in one lump sum or just divide it up during the day which is what I do. I just recently read what it said on the back of the bag & it says young & pregnant rabbits give them unlimited hay & pellets. Do I need to be giving him unlimited pellets till hes 9mo-12mo or is he okay with the 1/4 cup I'm giving him right now ? I know when he gets older his diet is supposed to mainly be hay & veggies, but even when he's older I'm not sure how much to give him. Any helpful info would be appreciated . He's 3months right now

For adult rabbits, the suggested amount of pellets is 1/4-1/2cup pellets per 5 pounds of rabbit per day. Of course that depends on how much you feed in the way of greens etc. It is recommended for young rabbits to have unlimited pellets so they can be sure to get all the vitamins they need. You could probably start to gradually reduce the amount from around the 6 month mark. Others may correct me on that.

For adult rabbits, the suggested amount of pellets is 1/4-1/2cup pellets per 5 pounds of rabbit per day. Of course that depends on how much you feed in the way of greens etc. It is recommended for young rabbits to have unlimited pellets so they can be sure to get all the vitamins they need. You could probably start to gradually reduce the amount from around the 6 month mark. Others may correct me on that.
Ah okay thanks for the info, he's getting bigger & my boyfriend keeps telling me I'm overfeeding him, when I've been under feeding him :sad:. He's always had his unlimited hay & veggies though. He's supposed to be a mini rex but I'm not sure if he's going to be or not, he feels like he's 2-3lbs already.

We were told with the smaller breeds to free fed til thy hit six months. Also were told by the vet to give them alfalfa as it's higher in protein and calcium and then switch to a regular hay. And at 4 months you can start in with veggies slowly.

We were told with the smaller breeds to free fed til thy hit six months. Also were told by the vet to give them alfalfa as it's higher in protein and calcium and then switch to a regular hay. And at 4 months you can start in with veggies slowly.
All he gets is alfalfa hay right now, as for veggies the woman I got him from was already feeding him veggies when I got him at 6 weeks (I know very bad for him to be getting so early) & I just kept giving him some in small portions & just recently started giving him more since it doesn't upset his tummy so far. No fruits for him though not till 6mo since he got veggies so early

Latest posts

Back