Flynn's FHO

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kipcha wrote:
Just called back and she's awake now and sitting up, but not eating anything as of yet.

That was the first thing we thought too, that the cadavers wouldn't have the swelling. Poor girl, I really hope we didn't just wind up making things worse for her...

Please do not second guess yourself :hug:

You are doing the absolute best you can to help her have a happy, healthy life. You can't see the future or change the past so focus on today. It would be a little odd if she were chowing down already since the drugs normally cause a bit of nausia plus she's probably still groggy. It takes a while for them to wear off.

Hang in there, it always sounds worse than it actually is. Give her some time to come out of the anthesia, the pain will be bad for awhile, but as the swelling goes down it should improve. You did what you thought was for the best, don't second guess yourself. We will all continue to pray for her. Right now she has had a long surgery and needs to rest. You too, she is out, now she just needs to heal.

Don't second guess yourself. It's going to be tough and a slow healing process, but you can help Flynn through this.

You did what was best for your Beloved Flynn. I know you hate to see your sweetie in pain, but you will both get through this.

Sending Good thoughts your way. Been checking this thread all day and couldn't get on until now.

Keep the faith. You have many well wishers here and many prayers and well wishes for a successful recovery for Flynn.

K :)

We have Flynn home now and I'm shocked at how active she was (She's starting to wear down a little now and getting a little sleepy again), actually hopping around and looking at us when we got her home, then she headed right for the hay pile and started going to town on it, thank goodness.

We actually got to keep her femural head in a small sanitary container and my goodness, I knew it would be small but I had no idea how tiny it really would be. I can only imagine how hard it must have been to get something that small out. I felt so bad for our vet when she came out to talk to us, she looked like she was ready to fall asleep on her feet.

396247_3162658301862_1127468202_33159357_461986725_n.jpg

Most of her rear end is shaved away and her incision is about what I expected it to look like, luckily she hasn't tried licking it or anything yet, so lets hope it stays that way...

423503_3162716703322_1127468202_33159371_94231909_n.jpg

431063_3162728503617_1127468202_33159372_23692803_n.jpg

The vet is going to send the surgery photos as well so I'll post those when they come in. I guess they didn't get any photos when they were actually removing the bone because they were so focused on her, but got some of everything else. She was talking about how every time they moved her leg during the surgery they could actually feel the bone scraping together.

For her meds, she is to have Torbugesic (Butorphanol) every 8 hours for 2 days (0.03 mL) and Trimethoprim Sulfa as an antibiotic (0.85 mLs) every 12 hours for 10 days.

I really want to thank everyone who has been so reassuring and supportive, I was feeling so disheartened this afternoon after the phone call where she hadn't woken up yet, it was an awful feeling to think that I was only causing her more suffering. It was a major help to have people behind me on this.

I'll be posting a video later that I took when we got home.

Here's a quick video of Miss Flynn!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX-0Gj9YFGc&list=UUaNMYeUdpiUndlvmy6-je6g&index=1&feature=plcp[/ame]

:yahoo:

Alright Flynn. I love the fact that she used her leg to scratch for a bit. And her moving around....EXCELLENT!

Oh wishing her a quick recovery.

Flynn you are doing very good. Now leave the incision along. I know it might get itching, but don't touch it!

I'm thrilled for all of you. Thanks so much for posting the quick video. I'm just so glad to see her moving about. And we all know the more moving, the more moving of poo.

Alright Flynn, make Mommy happy. Let's see those Forget Me Nots! (my husband's term)

K:)

Well, on the bright side, we have poop! TONS of poop and she's still eating like a horse. I don't think digestive issues are going to be a problem.

Downside, I think it's swelling. I can't tell if it's just me being paranoid or not, but when she sits still, you don't notice it, but when she hops it looks like ther is a lump beginning to form... So I really hope it's just paranoia, but most likely I'm going to be off to the vet tomorrow again before work.

I tried to touch it (Not rough, I was kind of afraid to try since I KNOW it has to hurt) to see if there was heat or anything and I know I hurt her, she tried to run away and wouldn't come near me for a bit.

Just gave her her new dose of pain meds so hopefully it helps her out.

Hurray for poops. I'd be at the Vet tomorrow morning too. I'd rather have the Vet say, It's OK.

Hope Flynn has a restful night.

It was a long night, I slept on the floor by her cage and kept watch over the night to make sure she kept eating and drinking, but mostly to keep an eye on her and make sure she didn't try licking her incision, so overall I probably got 2 hours sleep, but she was good and behaved herself.

I honestly think I may just be feeling paranoid. I'm not used to actually being able to see the tips of her little hip bones since she's normally so fuzzy, and there hasn't been any kind of change in it overnight. I think I may have been overreacting, which would be a relief.

The vet mentioned that she would be sending sending the pics of the surgery over the weekend. I'm rather curious to see them, but at the same time I don't know if I want to know how it all looks :p Kinda makes me nauseas to think about. But it will be a good learning experience for everyone!

She looks rather chipper this morning, got up at 6 to give her her pain meds and she's hopping around a bit, eating and drinking and grooming a plenty and even scratching herself with her bad leg and looking more stable as she did so.

So good to hear she doing well this morning. And I would have done the same thing with staring at her all night. lol I don't blame you for being paranoid. It was a big surgery for a bunny, and especially for your sweet girl. And seeing this, it definitely gives other bunny owners with dislocations a eye opening, hopeful experience.

Dr. Joe said he could do a lot with bunnies when they were ill, but not with any broken bones or dislocations. Definitely will have to show him Flynn's surgery.

Wishing Flynn a nice, quiet relaxing day healing. And hope you can get a bit of a cat nap.

K :)

We wound up bringing her back as we realised it was actually swelling up quite a bit this morning, but it turns out that it was expected, and it will probably swell a bit more before it goes down in about a weeks time since this was quite a traumatic surgery, with all the muscle that had to be cut. She's going to be getting Metacam on top of the other painkiller since "they compliment each other well", so hopefully that will help with the swelling. When I get home from work I am going to use a cool compress on the swelling as well.

She showed us the proper way to do the physio we're going to be doing three times a day as well, which will be basically stretching her leg out to prevent it from seizing up. Everyone is taking her using it at least a bit as a very good sign and we want to keep developing it.

So while there really was no reason to be too concerned and run to the vet, I'm glad we did for the peace of mind. I can't believe how active she's being with all the pain there must be associated with the surgery. She actually nipped Mom when she tried to block her from getting out of the carrier when she was getting impatient, she wants to just run so bad.

Karen, this is probably the biggest surgery we've had done, the closest other one being the surgery Peace had back in June with his undescended testicle and abcess, so It's been extremely draining. I can't believe it hasn't been even 24 hours since we picked her up, it feels like it was days ago. I just know that these next few months will be exhausting, but less so if she stays will on the road to recovery.

I am glad that there will be some info on all this now, part of what made this so scary was that I could find hardly any info on having the surgery done on a rabbit. Hopefully this will prove to be educational for everyone.

Thanks Alma! It's been quite the roller coaster ride but hopefully we're through the worst of it.

candykittten wrote:
I'm sorry but I think I missed what was wrong with Flynn. Was it an abscess?

Here's the original thread that I posted on her Hip Dislocation (Complete with X-Rays)

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=70317&forum_id=16

We're not quite sure how it happened but we think she was just playing around in her cage like normal and, as the vet put it, "She should have went one way but went the other" which resulted in her popping her femur right out of socket.

The chances of resetting were less then 30% and it would have cost $700 to do, or we could find someone to do the surgery hopefully at a reasonable cost and in the end, our vet of choice decided she would try it for us since the only one in Calgary who had done if before was not a choice I felt confident with. There was literally only one vet in Calgary who had done it before, so it shows how common people do this surgery for their buns (Most likely due to the cost).

So the vet had to get down through the muscle and remove the femural head that was rubbing against bone so that her body can now form a false joint. The tiny thing that's beside the dime in the pic on the first page is the bone that was removed, so you can see how delicate a bunnies bones are.

Here's a vid of the surgery performed on a dog, if you're interested in seeing it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J9VzqVCWwE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J9VzqVCWwE[/ame]

Glad you took her for your peace of mind. Best fee ever paid for good news.

Now it will just take time. And Flynn sounds like she's handling it all very well. Even nipping Mom to get out and play. Sorry about the nip, but for her. She has her facilities.

Let us know how the physcio is doing. So glad to hear the swelling is normal and it sounds like it will be swollen for a while so the physcio is good thing.

Truly glad to hear. Thanks so much for the update. Flynn Fans from New Jersey definitely need to know. lol

Latest posts

Back