Flying with Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmaben

Reaction score
I PCS back to the states in may and it will be a 10-12 hour flight. They have larger crates that I can leave hay down for them and I plan on freezing water bottles for them in case the weather is hot in Oklahoma. Is there anything I can do to boost their appetites before we go? Kind of worried about this move especially for Teddy. He's a little more skittish and doesn't trust us fully yet.
Both have already been on car trips and eat, pee, and poo just fine.
10 hours is just such a long time.

Any advice would be helpful

Kaley

There was someone going from the US to Germany on another forum last fall. The airline they were using were allowing her caged rabbit in the cabin with them. So you might want to check all your options, even if it means flying into NYC. 10-12 hour flights can become 20-hour ones, so I'd worry they might not all make it.

I had flyed with my bunny 12 hours in plane
There was a lot papers that we needed to get to have permission bring her from one country to other one.

She was fly in cabin with passengers and I would never let her fly in baggage. Even after fly in cabin with us, in her carrier, she looked veeery exhausted at end of the fly.
I think it was a stress for my baby. You know, they have a weak hearts, so we have to be very careful.

I know that custom in US needed internationsl veterinarian certificate to let her in. Most difficult part was pass customs in Russia that they can let us take her out from country.

They needed papers that she was vaccinated (from viruses that not exist on north continent!!!), that she was under doctor's surveillance (one month surveillance after vaccination), than we needed make some appointment with country veterinarian control and bla bla bla...
And only after all this things we got some paper which we needed to exchange to veterinarian certificate in Russian airport.

Oh... That was... bureaucracy

May be can be good if doctor give some sedative to bunny. I'm not sure.

You'll really need to check with the airline. Do you know which one you will be using?

Some have specific rules about the size of the carriers, how many can go into one, and what can go in with them, etc. Some only allow cargo travel and may not be available year-round due to the weather. The airline I traveled with did not allow the animal to have any sort of sedative and they verified this by testing their alertness. :)

Oh I just saw now that it's an old post... Hopefully you have gotten the answers by now and are all set to go :)

They fly out on Wednesday the 9th of May. I'm going to separate them. There's a company here that will ship them year round since they have a non-stop flight. Petair wont let you sedate your pet and since they're so sensitive anyways I wouldn't do it. With plent of pellets, hay, and water I'm thinking they will weather it just fine

I'm glad to hear they're going on PetAir, since you're not flying back from Germany at the same time, so being in the passenger cabin with you is not an option.

Latest posts

Back