Flemish Giants

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jess_sully

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I haven't been around in awhile, because I've been on vacation! Well, I'm back now, and I have great news! I found a Flemish Giant breeder that is actually up north! Only 1 1/2 hours away! This is one of the closest breeders I've been able to find. Flemishes have always charmed me. But, I have a few questions. As for housing, I'm thinking of buying an exercise pen, so that he'll have lots of room. But, I read that the larger the bunny, the less inclined they are to jump high, so what height would be suitable? Would 24" or 30" be okay, since they're so huge? Also, for a litterbox?I found a Jumbo one that is 23" x 17" x 6", would that be okay? Would a rim be a good idea, too... it would make the overall height 8". Sorry, I'm pretty excited right now.

I've seen people use plastic storage bins for Flemish litter boxes. You may need one of those as he grows.

When are you getting him? Can't wait to see pics!

I use a 24"hexcercise pen for Tootsie. She's a 10 lb NZ black.
She doesn't jump over it, but she does climb it. She's climbed over the top and into my lap twice now (I wasn't dishing up breakfast fast enough for her).
Her new living quarters will be made from NICs and I'll be putting a top on it.... just in case.

~Jim

PS: I WANNA FLEMISH :bawl

Thanks for the info! The breeder still hasn't emailed me back yet (okay, so I just emailed them this morning...) I'm impatient, lol. I love black NZ's... but there aren't any breeders of them anywhere close to me. Drat. It's a good thing Tootsie only climbed over when you were there... no escapes when left alone? I wouldn't mind if he could get over it when I'm there to make him want to come out, I just don't want any escapes while I'm out.

We got Tootsie from the shelter. She was a lucky find. She was only 10 months old when we got her. She had been brought in by her owner and had only been there a couple of weeks. Being in the shelter didn't seem to affect her, except that they spayed her and she now has an aversion to being picked up or handled too much.

...back on topic....

She's never escaped unattended, but I'd rather not take a chance. The new cages and run are going to be in a different area and she may be tempted to take a "road trip" to explore when I'm not there.

....back off topic...

And you're right about the smaller buns being able to jump higher. Our Rosie is about half the size of Tootsie. She cleared a 3 foot pen and we found her wandering around the bunnie room tormenting the other buns through their cages...stole blankie, toys, food and just generally raised a ruckess. Truly a bun on a mission.

~Jim

Lucky, Lucky, Lucky that you found Tootsie. The closest shelter to me is over four hours away, and I'm just not up for an eight hour round trip anytime soon. Plus, I hate to think of a poor bunny, freshly taken from a shelter, and thrown into a carrier for that long of time. I'm sure it would be stressful. I've wanted a black NZ from the moment I first laid eyes on one. They're beautiful. But who knows, maybe if this breeder ever emails me back, he'll have some black flemishes.

I see what you mean about not wanting to take the chance. Being as curious as they are, I wouldn't put it past Tootsie to want to "explore" her surroundings. Are you making her a NIC condo, or just a pen with a lid? I wonder what material would be strong enough to safely hold a larger bun?

We had a holland lop that had a condo, but whenever he was out, he jumped the baby gate safeguarding the stairs quite often. It was about 30" tall, but you'd think it were only a foot the way he sailed over it. I caught him in the act on more than one occaision. Silly buns.

Small bunnies definitely jump higher. My little Holland Lop used to jump 4' but now she only jumps 3'6". My 7.5 lb bucks on the other hand, I don't think they would jump anything over 2'

Anyways, you could make a NIC condo for a Flemish, I just would not suggest multiple levels because I don't know if they can handle that much weight. If you make it like one big pen and say 3 grids high, you should be able to get away without a top on it.

But be careful, even a baby Flemish may be able to jump quite high but as they get older, they should calm down.

I considered making a NIC pen. However, I know for a fact that he'll have to be petsat while I'm on vacation for a week in the spring, and how would we be bale to transport a NIC cage to another person's house? Also, when I move in the beginning of next summer, he'll be coming with me (obviouslly) but I wasn't sure about that either. I suppose I could just disconnect the whole thing and rebuild it when I got there. But for the vacation, that wouldn't work, that's for sure! Hmmm.

Jess_sully wrote:
Are you making her a NIC condo, or just a pen with a lid? I wonder what material would be strong enough to safely hold a larger bun?

I've decided to continue to use their current cages and add on to them with the NIC grids (I bought out Targets stock on the black ones!).
I'm sure they'll feel more comfortable with the move if they still have a familar place. The cages may make my job easier to access their food, hay, waterbottles, litter pans, etc.
The smaller buns will have shelves, but I think Tootsie will be "grounded". I think I'd have to go 4 grids high in order to accomodate her size and I'm not sure it would hold her weight if she got jumping around. However, Tootsie will also have access to the run area during the day.
Each buns cage will be arranged around the run area so I can give them individual run time directly from their cage and living quarters.

It sounds really confusing. I've got some plans drawn up that I'll try to take some pics of. I'll also have before and after pics (as requested by somebunnie we all know ;))

~Jim

Jess:

Just wanted to hijack your thread really quick to say glad to have you back! I was actually about to send you a pm to see where you've been bc I hadnt seen you around. Glad to hear youre going to be getting a bun soon!

NIC condos are awesome. Actually, if you use cable ties in some places, its very easy to take apart. I just moved Mr. Tumnus from the living room to my friends room and back again (we had company) and it was fine to take apart and move around..

Good Luck!

-Haley

Jess_sully wrote:
I considered making a NIC pen. However, I know for a fact that he'll have to be petsat while I'm on vacation for a week in the spring, and how would we be bale to transport a NIC cage to another person's house?
You'll NEVER avoid that with a Flemish Giant. No matter what, they need a huge cage so no matter if you build a NIC condo or buy a very large cage (very expensive) you will have that issue. You don't even have to take it all apart! You just take out panels that would fit in your trunk so you make only need to put it into 6 pieces which I think is quite manageable.

Jess_sully wrote:
I considered making a NIC pen. However, I know for a fact that he'll have to be petsat while I'm on vacation for a week in the spring, and how would we be bale to transport a NIC cage to another person's house? Also, when I move in the beginning of next summer, he'll be coming with me (obviouslly) but I wasn't sure about that either. I suppose I could just disconnect the whole thing and rebuild it when I got there. But for the vacation, that wouldn't work, that's for sure! Hmmm.
I made a small pen the other night. I used the connector to make the sides and then used binder clips to attach them at the corners. Makes it real easy to fold flat or disassemble when needed.

~Jim

If you make an NIC condo with out the plastic connectors, and just using zap straps (cable ties), then the cage can easily be folded with out have to take apart.

When I moved, I just snipped a few of the zap straps and the cage folded down to a travel size.

I find this works very well, as it doesn't require a full assembly to get the cage back together, just a few zap straps.

--Dawn

Jess_sully wrote:
That's a really good idea! I'll have to look into it. Do you have any pictures, by chance?

Sorry.....I took the pen apart to make a small addon for Tootsie's cage last night.
It was very simple...2 grids high....3 gridswide.....4 grids long.
I didn't put a top on it.
And I used some medium size binder clips like these..

SKU_ONE30410.gif

I'll see if I have some time to put one together tonight and I'll take some pics.

~Jim

I absolutely lovvvveee flemish giants, they are so beautiful!! I wish I had a place to house one, but I doubt I ever will. Gorgeous rabbits though, I hope the breeder calls you back soon! How exciting!!

Well, I called the breeder today and talked to them. Unfortunately, they won't be breeding again until probably May of 2007... and considering how long I've already been waiting, I don't think I have enough patience to wait that long. So, I'm going for my second choice: Rhinelander. The Satin breeder that I originally liked only has show quality babies right now that need/deserve showing homes, lol. I love the Rhinelanders because they're fully arched, and more energetic than most breeds their size.

mybaby2.jpg

Here's a picture of the baby, he was just born (she's emailing me back with the exact birthdate) a few days ago. He's a charlie, because he has no spots on his sides.She's almost positive it's a buck even though it's not even a week old yet, simply because 9/10 times the babies with more orange in their butterflies are bucks. The breeder has really taken the time to write LONG emails to me! She's nearby, too. He'll still be in a pen. I just need to figure out the height, because Rhinelander bucks are usually about eight to eight and half pounds.

Now I'd say a roof is critical. I've never owned a Rhinelander but I'd assume that being an energetic breed, they will and probably can jump quite high.

mom.jpg

Okay, so there's the mom of my little (hopefully) man.They're tall already without even jumping, so I'm thinking that a dog crate would be better, probably a 42" one. Hmmm.

rhinelander3.jpg

This picture makes them look HUGE!

Latest posts

Back