Flemish Giant a good first rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malpaso

Reaction score
HI, new to the forum and not that computer literate.

I have learned about Flemish Giants, and I am hooked! I haven't had arabbit in over 15 years, and would like to get a Flemish Giant

Easier/harder to train than other breeds?
Is it true large rabbits do not like to be held? I am looking forsomeone to sit with the cats and I; on the porch,couch, etc.
If trained & gotten used to, do the larger breeds like being on a harnesh leash?

First of all, it's really cool to see someoneinterested in the "big ones" for a first rabbit. Most people go for thelittle guys first off--my first was a truly evil Netherland dwarf.

But regarding your questions: I've never owned a Flemish but have bredPalominos (big orange "pumpkin bunnies"), which average about 9 lbs.Also have had a Californian and a large mix, roughly the same weight. Iabsolutely love the large breeds, and the only reason I haven't had aFlemish is that they require different accomodations (no wire floorbecause of their weight) and that doesn't work with my outdoorrabbit"apartment complex". I've heard that hock sores (rubbedraw patches on feet) are a problem also, I believe, because they arejust plain big. (My Pals have extremely furry feet and that's neverbeen a problem, but Flemish are much bigger).

It's not necessarily that large rabbits don't like to be held, but theydon't like to be picked up (the whole airborne fear factor). You can atleast help with that by handling the young rabbit a LOT, both upsidedown (on the back, like when clipping nails) and right side up. Myyoung buck is extremely pliable when held (I can carry him like a sackof potatoes and flip him any which way), and I handled him from about14 days onward.

BigBubloved being on a leash and dragged meeverywhere exploring until he hit puberty, started spraying, and wasn'tallowed in public anymore due to embarrassingconsequences.;)I love large male rabbits in general as theyseem to have less mood swings than females due to hormones. But then,my current Palis rare stock and thereforenotneutered (he is alsovery much spoiledthough!). Analtered male or female Flemish would of course be more even tempered.

One thing I have heard about Flemish that is different from myexperience with Pals is that the Flemish are extremely lazy. Pals arehyperactive, friendly,and obnoxiously outgoing, while Flemishlike to take life easy and are quite docile.:)

Another issue is the sheer size, requiring much more care in lifting.Their bodies are long and rump-heavy rather than the compact musculartype I'm used to--so the back needs special care so it doesn't getinjured in lifting.

I hope some Flemish owners can weigh in on some of the specialchallenges of their favorite breed, but I do hope this helps a littlewith the issues of any large breed.

Rose

Great to hear you are thinking about getting aflemish giant!! We are owned by 8 wonderful flemish(we show and breedthem). I was also very worried about getting them because of theresize(our largest is 17 lb). Maybe we were lucky because all we reallyhad to change was cages(solid bottom), they do make wonderful pets aslong as you have the space..

Edited by: RO STAFF

Latest posts

Back