Ferrets, feed thereof

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I guess if I were to keep a ferret, this onewould be the one because it is so docile, and doesn't smell that I cantell, plus the price would be right, eh?

We believe it belongs to someone in the neighborhood, who is know tohave a ferret. Those people appear to be away at a funeral,hence we've had not contact with them, thought I left a message ontheir mailbox, and one is on there answering machine. It islikely that ferret will be with us until Sunday, at least, unless theycome home tomorrow.

Should it not be their ferret, we know a local waitress, with whom weshared our bunny stories and she, her ferret stories, whom we willapproach regarding what to do with it.

Didn't want to turn it over to police, because not sure whatwould happen to it. Didn"t want to call animal controlofficer, because we heard one not so nice story about him.Could be false, but if I have the chance to return Mr./Miss Ferret toowner, I would be more happy with that.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have eaten anything we have given itso far, kitten food, tuna, piece of apple and piece of beef from beefstew. I don't know that it has had any water, because it doeslike to tip the bowl. Put in water bottle, andcrockery "dutch shoe, " filled with water, that is heavy and difficultto tip. Do they like "softy" things to lie on?His/her cage is spartan, and probably not what he/she is used to, buthe/she would escape from any of our rabbit cages, I'm afraid.

Buck

It's possible they are illegal inCanada. I believe they are illegal in California.Not sure what the ferret laws are, but they were legalinOhio. Wild black footed ferrets are probably illegal to ownin all states.

Pam

Ferrets are not illegal all over Canada. I'm sureyou could check into where but I know that they are not illegal where Iam. They sell them in pet store's here which tells me they aredefinately legal. Not even pet stores would risk being caught withillegal pets in their stores that can be sold to anyone!

Here's a shortened list I found while doing my quick research.

[align=center]********************************************[/align]
Taken from http://www.ferretcentral.org/faq/part1.html

Here's a list of some of the larger places where ferrets are illegal, as of April 1997.
California, Hawaii
Washington, DC; Dallas, Ft. Worth, Beaumont, and various other citiesin TX; Bloomington and Burnsville, MN; Tulsa, OK; Columbus, OH; London,York, and East York, Ontario, Canada; Puerto Rico
Although ferrets aren't actually illegal in New York City orMinneapolis, MN, they are not welcomed and may be confiscated orticketed. Similarly, although it's legal to own ferrets in SouthCarolina, it's not legal to sell them there, and the state is known tobe pretty ferret-unfriendly.
Many military bases ban ferrets. It seems to be at the discretion of the base commander.
Permits or licenses are required in order to own ferrets in thefollowing places: New Jersey ($10/year), Rhode Island ($10/year),Illinois (free). Permits are also required in St. Paul, MN, and may bedifficult to obtain.
These lists are by no means complete, so check locally before you buy a ferret.

Sorry your new friend isn't eating. You may wantto try offering a small amount of peanut butter. I used to do thiswhenever I brought a new ferret home. I had five lol. If peanut butterdoesn't work try a raisin. Normally these are a bit of a treat, butit's better to have it eat something than nothing at all. If you havean old sweatshirt, that will do for the little one to sleep on. Even anold towel. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Tina

I've seen Ferrets in pet stores in Toronto. I knewthey were illegal some places, just not sure WHICH places :) They dontsell them here in Peterborough, but then again, we don't really haveany pet stores...just the one pet store Megan was in with her brother!I wonder if she misses him....that's sad now that I think of it...:(

Thanks, Tina! Peanut butter(chunky) did thetrick. First thing he/she has eaten since yesterday, near asI could tell. Left him some cloth place mats aswell. Wish these people would come home soon, or at leastaccess their messages. I would hate to see him die for lackof proper care and/or loneliness.

Our indoor rabbits were reacting negatively to the ferret's presence,according to my wife. I'm not so sure that is the case, butend result ferret is on its lonesome until its owners come back, orwe rehome him somewhere more conducive to a ferret habitat.

Thank all of you for your advice and comments. Anything elseyou can add would certainly be appreciated and not ignored.

Buck

Ferrets are illegal in Cali. That is why I don't have my boys anymore:X

Ferrets like to sleep in soft places. My ferrets use to sleepin hammock and tubes. Try using some bedding that you may usefor your rabbit. I can't think of what it is called but youcan use that recycled paper bedding that they sell for smallanimals. Try an old Puffs tissue box with some bedding stuffin it. That worked for my friends ferret.

If he isn't eating...have you tried dry cat food? I wouldn'trecommend wet food. Also I use to feed my ferrets Marshallferret diet. They do sell other brands of ferret food at thegrocery store and most Wal-Marts. Marshalls in my opinion isthe best brand for ferrets. If I remember right, There is asmall packaged version of Marshalls that is sold at most pet stores, ifyou decide to get him/her its own food. Even though I don'trecommend dairy products for a ferret due to it giving them the"runs". You can try to give him a little bit of yogurt or icecream.
And I do STRESS A LITTLE.

If the ferrets doesn't respond to that...my only other guess may belook outside again, there may be another ferret runningloose. Ferrets are "pack" animals. He may bemissing his buddy:?

Also have you been playing with it since you put it in thecage? Ferrets need interaction as well. If cagedall day, he can get depressed and die.

Keep us updated

Buck, I am so glad s/he nibbled something.

I know you have your hands full with all you own pets. Is there anywayat all you can let the little one out to play for a little while? Evenif you sit in the bathroom on the *uh* throne and shut the door. Thatway you can keep an eye on thhe baby and the baby gets some time to runand play. Ferrets are very play driven. They will make a game out ofeverything. If you have any toys your bunns no longer play with chancesare a ferret will.

If you are having a hard time finding a ferret food, you cansubstitute a dry cat food. Mine all loved chicken flavor. That's all Ican think of right now. I hope it helps.

Keep us posted how it's going. If I can think of anything else I'll let you know.

Tina

GAve him some cat toys. Haven't yettried dried cat food, the stuff we can him was like meat.Tuna, regular, was not terribly enticing it seems.

Afraid to let him loose anywhere, for fear of being unable toget him back in the cage. Might try bathroom thing tomorrowif we don't hear anything from his prospective owner by then.

Thanks for bearing with me, people.

Buck

Back