Feeding wild Clover and grass and Dandolions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tessie

Reaction score
Can My bunny get fleas or deciaeses (sp?) from eating fresh greens from out doors .:?From other animals that have been in my yard.

thanks

Tessie

Bump :)

I think I've read somewhere that it is possible to get parasitic diseases if an infected animal like a raccoon or something defecates there and your bun eats the fecal matter or plants that the fecal matter touched. Not really sure though!

So if I rinse it well It should be ok?

It's definitely possible for rabbits to contract fleas or parasites. However, I wouldn't worry much about it unless you find reason to worry. Common symptoms could include frequent or violent itching, loss of appetite, rapid weight loss, bloated stomach.

Sorry for the delay...

Be EXTREMELY cautious when picking weeds and grass if you have a lot of wildlife in your yard or if the area has been sprayed or fertilized.

As well as thoroughly washing the vegetation, you have to identify the safe areas to pick them from. Aside from pesticides, some animal latrine areas can contain deadly parasites, in particular raccoon droppings. They live in the soil for months if not years and they don't wash off, at least not easily.

That long grass under that tree or against the house that looks so delicious can be dangerous.

If you can stake out an area that is unlikely to have been used as a latrine, and you want to crawl around to look for droppings to make sure, go for it because clover, dandelion and grasses are great treats!

Here's a link with more info, including how to ID the latrines:

Raccoon Parasite Warning

Fleas aren't as much of an issue. They won't tag along on pulled grass, the eggs do wash off the vegetation, and while they do get them, fleas don't really like rabbits all that much. They prefer other wildlife and cats and dogs.

sas :)

Pipp wrote:
Sorry for the delay...

Be EXTREMELY cautious when picking weeds and grass. As well as thoroughly washing them, you have to identify the safe areas to pick them from. Aside from pesticides, some animal latrine areas can contain deadly parasites[highlight= rgb(136, 255, 255);], in particular raccoon droppings. They live in the soil for months if not years and they don't wash off, at least not easily.

That long grass under that tree or against the house that looks so delicious can be dangerous.

If you can stake out an area that is unlikely to have been used as a latrine, and you want to crawl around to look for droppings to make sure, go for it because clover, dandelion and grasses are great treats!

Here's a link with more info, including how to ID the latrines:

Raccoon Parasite Warning

sas :)
Thank you we have no raccoons where I live mostly squrriels .

Latest posts

Back