Feathers

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovrabs

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Today, I came home and when I checked on my buns, they hadseveral feathers in their cage.:? We have no other animals inthe house, just dogs outside and buns inside. We think asmall bird might have come through the chimney, but how could thefeathers get inside the cage? Am I goingcrazy?:shock: It feels like a dream and I'm about to wakeup. Do rabbits eat birds?:?

Ally

Do you have any down blankets, pillows, or coats?

No, we're allergic to those things!

It is the weirdest thing! Even if a bird DID happen to comein through the chimney, how would it have made it to thecage? And what happened to the rest of it?

There were six or seven feathers in the cage.

I'm totally perplexed!

*Chuckle* Seems like some one is havinga "go" at you. If I were you, I'd make little of it and putsomething else in the cage, like a $5.00 bill, then make a loudexclamation for all to hear when you "find it." Hehehe.

A money excreting rabbit would be a valuable thing to have, like agoose laying golden eggs. Your prankster might be outpranked,eh? LOL

Buck

Hi Buck,

The only prankster might be my dad, but he knows mom would kill him forputting something in the rabbits' cage. I doubt it washim.

The mystery continues. I'll let you know if anything else appears!

Well, bats have gotten in homes. It wouldn't be impossible.

I'd still wonder if there wasn't a coat or something that had feathers in it.

Where do you get your feed? your litter? Could it have been feathers stuck to a bag of something?

Do you have cats? Do they have toys? Our cat has a toy that has feathers on the end of it.

We don't have any animals in the house other thanthe rabbits. Their cage is about three feet from thefireplace (we've never used it). Maybe there are birdsnesting in there, but you'd think we'd have seen or heard somethingbefore now.

I checked in the hay and the feed and found nothing.

Oh, well. I'll let you know when we figure it out!

Ally

I would guess a bird might have attempted to build a nest up there or even did.

She might have just been quiet when she heard you guys. I would look up there or have someone look from the rooftop.

Animals will amaze you with what they will do.

Every year my mom has a big easter egg hunt for all of us.She hides about 200 plastic eggs filled with candy, money and trinkets.

My father was cleaning out the chimney and what did he find? yes, aplastic easter egg with 1 Milky Way Candy bar in it and a quarter! :p

Some squirrel must have taken it up there.

Last year, my daughter and her friend next to us were hiding plasticeggs out back. They are actually my cousins that livethere....... anyhow, they were playing egg hunt a bit later and cameupon an egg ...... with a snake all wrapped around it LOL! he thoughthe'd found some dinner! poor guy just had some plastic.... and they lethim keep it! (we live close to a pond and a creek so we get lots ofslithery things)...

You just never know....

Bo B Bunny I misread your post to start with and thought you said Batshad gottne into your home and I was sitting her saying out loud OH MyGawsh I glad I don't live at Bos' house LOL I re read it and found Ihad a vivid imagination LOL

As for the feathers, maybe there are birds up in the chimney and their feather just floated down and landed in the hutch.

You'll be amazed at what moves around a room.

At work we sweep and sweep all day and at the end we sweep rightthrough again but when the air conditioner is off and no people movingaround the hair settles back on the floor as there is no air cirling itround (I'm talking fine pieces not clumps here guys :p)

Maybe that could be it who knows, But I do like Bucks' idea of the 5 buck note LOL:D:D:D

Editing to tell you we sometimes call dollars bucks eg, $5.00 = 5 bucks

Ok, here's my theory:

A bird flew down your chimney (not uncommon), probably panicked andflew around the room, feathers probably fell off of it when it wasflying above the rabbits cage and then the bird most likely flew backout of the chimney....

what do you think?

ariel wrote:
...Editing to tell you we sometimes call dollarsbucks eg, $5.00 = 5 bucks

And so do we, here! We also refer to money as "dough" from cockney rhyming slang, I believe. *chuckle*

Buck(from the slang for a horse jumping around strenuously attempting to unseat his human rider)

Hey everyone,

We just discovered the cause of the feathers. The featherswere in the bottom of the hay bag!:shock:That is sodisgusting! It was Oxbow Timothy Hay. I'm sure itwon't happen again, but my mom is going to write a letter to the OxbowCompany. I'm going to check out the hay every time I buysome!! I feel so sorry for my buns. Anyway, my dadsniffed a feather and it smelled like the hay!:? Then weexamined the hay and found that, in fact, the hay was were it camefrom. If any of you buy Oxbow hay, you might want to look atit closely!

Ally:cool:

I found a couple feathers in my hay once. It wasgross! I kept thinking that if I found a dead bird in there it was notgoing to be a pretty picture when I let the feed store know. :?

~Nichole

They are and you know, it's just impossible for nothing ever to get into hay and stuff.

We've opened cans of name brand canned veggies and had things inthem.... once there was a nice big grasshopper in the top of somekidney beans LOL!

Awww that's terrible!!!! haha

once I opened up some lettuce and there were tiny little bugs crawlingaround on it!!! I was so freaked out, I tossed itin the trashas fast as I could!

Ewww.. my mom was telling me this story of howthere were some little white bugs in her twinky once. Of course shedidn't know until after she had bitten into it. So gross..

~Nichole

Latest posts

Back