False Pregnancy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cirrustwi

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, Basil makes me crazy!!! Thismorning when I fed them, she was fine. Her cage looked justas it always does, but tonight when I got home, she had pulled out tonsof fur and built a nest. I don't even know where all the furcame from. There is NO way she could be pregnant.She hasn't been exposed to a male since I got her in October.

I wanted to clean her cage tomorrow because I'm off, but can I do thator will she just build the nest again? (I know this willhappen with birds.) What triggers this? She isacting normal otherwise, but should I be expecting a change?Where does that fur come from, I know they pull it from their stomachs,but do they grow extra? She doesn' seem to have any bald orthin spots.

Oh, she is a silly rabbit!

Jen

Hi cirrustwi.

Side note, not to alarm but just a note: Even in falsepreganancies, rabbits can go through lactation and develop mastitis -an inflammation of the mammary glands.In additionto nest building and milk production, they can become extremelyterritorial, stressed,and aggressive, so watch out!Just keep an eye on her if she does continually have these falsealarms. Symptoms would be fever, inflammation, going offfeed, etc.

The false pregnancies are hormonal. The homones fool therabbit's body by telling it it's pregnant.Theactions of nest building have been known to someto last up totwo weeks. It can be triggered by being mounted or aninfertile breeding.

False pregnancies can be extremely stressful for the rabbit, and adecrease in appetite can lead to GI Stasis, so keep an eye on herappetite and stools. It's been described as being like asevere case of PMS. Spaying a rabbit can greatlydecrease or eliminate these issues for the doe.

-Carolyn

She is still eating. Miss Basil loves her food! LOL

Actually I've been suprized her attitude hasn't changed atall. I really thought she would become nasty, but sheisn't. If anything, she has been more pleasent.

I was going to have her spayed, I even had an appointment (that I hadto cancel for work reasons), but now I've decided to breedher. It was actually an option from when I got her, but Ihadn't made up my mind, then I got too scared to do it, but when Irescued Orion, she mothered him so much, I allowed myself to hope shewould be a good mom. My neice was the clincher. Shewants to get into showing through 4-H. I'm currently lookingfor a buck, and I'll breed her once I move in a few months (I don'twant to move her if she is pregnant or has kits). I havehomes lined up for as many as 8 kits, so I'm happy aboutthat. She'll be spayed after probably 2 litters and her"husband" will be neutered.

Jen

Hi Jen,

Sounds like you've got it all figured out.

Does do grow extra fur and it loosens up so that it's easy for them to pull from their chest and stomach.

Keep us posted.

:)

-Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn.

She just keeps pulling it. I've cleaned the cage, but leftthe fur there because I'm afraid she will just pull and pull if it isgone. She doesn't even sit in her "nest". It'sreally strange, she sleeps elsewhere and basically ignores itentirely. I never see her pulling the fur. She is alsoshedding really badly right now, so my poor girl looksterrible. I'm so glad I did't decide to show her on Sunday!LOL

Jen

You might want to give her a bit of NutriCal for the stress she's beenunder and to be sure to keep her system moving along with the shedding.

-Carolyn

Brindle has built a couple of nests since we've had her.

She's spayed and has only had a minimum of physical contact with ourneuter buck, Benji. They do have their cages next to each other, though.

Brindle pulled fur, gathered hay, and built beautiful nests... ..onlyto tear them apart a few days later. Never got grouchy, though.

Now it looks like Chippy has copied Brindle's nesting instinct. Ilooked in Chippy's cage and she's been pulling fur and gathering hayfor 2 days now.

Last night I was gathering up a lot of Chippy's loose fur...Chippyhopped over and looked up at me...so I offered her fur back...and shetook it! She then returned it to her nest and patted it down gently.Sweet bunnie!!!! :p

:~) Jim

Tsk...oh Jim,

Chippers is such a hard working and devoted "mom". What a babe.

-Carolyn

Thanks for Bumping for me Carolyn. I didn't see this post.

To be honest I had noticed thatDaisy's appetite is slightlyoff. She still is eating though just not the huge amount that shenormally does. She is drinking properly so I will just keep a close eyeon her for now. Her poops are not hard and she is doing plenty of them,so I'm not too bothered by that at the moment. She passed a strangelooking one yesterday though. It was huge. I've never seen anythinglike it before, but since, they have all looked fine.

She has been very moody of late especially when I go near her bed wherethe nest is. I just hope she doesn't sense my pregnancy on me and turn.

I'll do a little bit of research on the mastitis though as I know itcan be painful for humans, so I don't want the poor girl in any pain.

I think as I am not going to be breeding her again I will get herspayed. I have just done the maths and it turns out that she will be3in September. Is that too old to spay or is it never too oldto spay a bun?

Vickie

I'm sure she could handle getting spayed at 3. When I got Fauna, shewas 4.5 and the doctor thought that was too old for her. I agree, but Ido know that people have done it even older than that. Of course, therisk is higher as they're older though.

Don't put it past her to be picking up on your pregnancy. I wouldn't besurprised at that at all. Do you have any NutriCal? It may helpstimulate her appetite and calm down the stress. If not, no worries.Check out the Cheat Sheet post for herbal rememedies if you you wish. Iknow that comfrey has a calming effect on them. You'll find other herbsuggestions in the link to the Cheat Sheet. Still would like to see youget your hands on some NutriCal for future purposes though. It'sAmerican-made and I'm not sure if we trade such items with you. I knowyou've heard us mention it before.

They make NutriCal for dogs and ferrets. The one that works for rabbitsis the dog one. You'd probably be interested or look into the ferretsone as well since you have those rascals running around.

Hope you're well. I think of you everyday and am grateful for being able to tie my shoelaces.

-Carolyn

Carolyn, I have got Science recovery in which Ihave always thought was a UK based version of Nutrical. I'll have tocheck with suppliers over here and see for sure. If I can get it then Icould do with getting the dog and the ferret version in. I can imaginethem both coming in handy at some stage. Will have a look at the herbalremedies though, they sound good.

LOL at "Hope you're well. I think of you everyday and am grateful forbeing able to tie my shoelaces." Luckily my boots are slip ons so Idon't have that problem ;), but I get Ryan to take them off for me whenI put my feet up, otherwise I would just get red in the face :D.

Vickie

DaisyNBuster wrote:
I have got Science recovery in which I have alwaysthought was a UK based version of Nutrical. I'll have to checkwith suppliers over here and see for sure. If I can get it then I coulddo with getting the dog and the ferret version in. I can imagine themboth coming in handy at some stage. Will have a look at the herbalremedies though, they sound good.

Hi Vickie!

I was able to find the data on Nutri-Cal, however I wasn't able to findanything on Science Recovery. Maybe you can compare this to what youhave and see if it's similar.

:~) Jim

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nutri-Cal

Description
Quality nutrition energizer for picky eaters. High-calorie palatabledietary supplement in a low-volume form is highly palatable. Providesan added source of energy for cats and hunting and working dogs.

Technical Information
When the animal's caloric or nutritional intake is to be supplemented,give 1 1/2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight daily. When animal isnot consuming full feed ration, give three teaspoons (one tablespoon)per 10 pounds of body weight daily.

Calorie content: 4420 kcal/kg (26.5 kcal/6g).

Nutri-Cal is extremely palatable. To acquaint the animal with theflavor, place a small amount of Nutri-Cal in the animal's mouth.

Store in cool area.

For veterinary use only.

Keep out of reach of children.

Ingredients
Corn syrup, soybean oil, malt syrup, cod liver oil, cane molasses,methylcellulose, water, gelatin by-products, dl-alpha tocopherylacetate (vitamin E), sodium benzoate (preservative), manganese sulfate,iron peptonate, thiamine HCI, niacinamide, calcium pantothenate (sourceof calcium and pantothenic acid), magnesium sulfate, pyridoxine HCI,vitamin A palmitate and D3 supplement, potassium iodide (source ofiodine and potassium), riboflavin 5' phosphate sodium (source ofvitamin B2 and phosphorus), folic acid and cyancobalamin (vitamin B12).

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude protein (min.) 0.7%, crude fat (min.) 34.5%, crude fiber (max.)3.8%, moisture (max.) 14%, calcium (min.) 0.0026%, calcium (max.)0.0033%, phosphorus (min.) 0.0006%, iron (min.) 0.0088%, iodine (min.)0.0088%, magnesium (min.) 0.0067%, manganese (min.) 0.0176%, potassium(min.) 0.0027%, vitamin A (min.) 1045 iu, vitamin D3 (min.) 60 iu,vitamin E (min.) 6 iu, vitamin B1 (thiamine) (min.) 1.8 mg, vitamin B2(riboflavin) (min.) 0.2%, vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) (min.) 0.8%, vitaminB12 (min.) 2 mcg, folic acid (min.) 0.2 mg, niacinamide (min.) 2 mg,d-pantothenic acid (min.) 1 mg.

How's your little one doing, Jen?

-Carolyn

DaisyNBuster wrote:
Carolyn, I have got Science recovery in which I have alwaysthought was a UK based version of Nutrical. I'll have to check withsuppliers over here and see for sure. If I can get it then I could dowith getting the dog and the ferret version in. I can imagine them bothcoming in handy at some stage. Will have a look at the herbal remediesthough, they sound good.

LOL at "Hope you're well. I think of you everyday and am grateful forbeing able to tie my shoelaces." Luckily my boots are slip ons so Idon't have that problem ;), but I get Ryan to take them off for me whenI put my feet up, otherwise I would just get red in the face :D.

Vickie

Hi Vickie,

It's worth a post of it's own if that's the case with NutriCal and Science Recovery, Vickie.

It's good to note for UK members - and for those of us that want to help our Friends - Across The Pond.

If it's the same or similar med, please announce it because we couldsave many UK members the trouble of getting NutriCal when they can justas easily pick up Science Recovery.

-Carolyn

I don't know much about false pregnancies. I havetwo does (they are sisters)and they are both about fivemonths old. I'm going to get them spayed when they are six months old.Is there a chance they might get this even though they have never beenexposed to male rabbits. None of them show any domination (mounting,fighting, etc.). I don't want balding, stressed rabbits!

Jen Abby did that when we had her. She pulledalot of fur in the neck area where it was a bit bald but not irratationor anything. Then she stopped and few weeks later hair grew back.

Latest posts

Back