eye problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunniesat12

Reaction score
I got my new bunny, a flemish giant on Thursday. All is well, she is already living with the others, no fighting done.
But yesterday, I discovered an eye problem which is worrying me.
I saw this twice on guinea pigs but never on a bunny.
Now people are telling me it is myxomatosis, however, this looks completely different.
I sent the pictures to the breeder, to my vet and to a well know university clinic in Holland, but as it is Easter, I will probably only get an answer on Tuesday. Cannot see my vet until then either.
Maybe anyone knows what this is.

I don't know but I found this statement about myxomatosis — "Classic myxomatosis starts with runny eyes and in the very early stages can be confused with other causes of conjunctivitis. However, myxomatosis differs as the genitals are also swollen."

So, are the genitals swollen?

Also, that picture doesn't look too serious to me- it looks like the inner eyelid (third eyelid) is showing and it could be from minor inflammation from some irritation to the eye. It could also be something a little more serious like blocked tear duct or conjuctivitis- But those are treatable.

Squidpop, I think you need a closer look. The eye is not runny nor swollen, but there is this "thing" And that I find when I google E.Cuniculi. Uveitis: Irisgranulom
Of course it could be that she hurt her eye, there were several brothers and sisters running around.
No her genitals are not swollen.

Although I often look for advice on fora, I find it a bit annoying that people jump to premature conclusions.
I had this bun with EC that I treated with succes but someone was convinced it was not EC. So I told her, thank you for the online diagnosis but no thanks!

Sorry, I wasn't trying to jump to a conclusion but was trying to respond to what you said about myxomatosis. I didn't see the white spot in the middle of the eye- the pictures are small - what I was responding to is that her third eyelid is showing which happens when a rabbits tear duct is clogged and with infections sometimes. The white spot in the eye- sounds like you've already figured it out. Anyway good luck :)

Sorry, I wasn't trying to jump to a conclusion but was trying to respond to what you said about myxomatosis. I didn't see the white spot in the middle of the eye- the pictures are small - what I was responding to is that her third eyelid is showing which happens when a rabbits tear duct is clogged and with infections sometimes. The white spot in the eye- sounds like you've already figured it out. Anyway good luck :)

nonono, I was not talking about you! I was referring to the people that are convinced my bun has myxomatosis.
If you click on the pic, it enlarges and you can see the spot.
Anyway, I got her some
Fucithalmic Vet Eye Gel

So now we wait and see.
Sorry I confused you.

nonono, I was not talking about you! I was referring to the people that are convinced my bun has myxomatosis.
If you click on the pic, it enlarges and you can see the spot.
Anyway, I got her some
Fucithalmic Vet Eye Gel

So now we wait and see.
Sorry I confused you.

Oh, that's funny. I think the last thing it could be is myxomatosis. And I think you are right its either a wound to the eye thats healing or could be e. cuniculi. I just had an experience with e.cuniculi (not in the eye) and you can treat your rabbit anytime with panacur- whether or not its e.cuniculi its a good safe routine wormer.

Latest posts

Back