Excessive peeing???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cupcake

Reaction score
Come for help again with Cupcake. This bunsure is testing us.

We are just done her antiinflammatories for her leg legging &she appears to be getting better when all of a sudden she is doing thismega peeing thing.

Today my daughter brought her onto her bed for a night time hug& she sprayed a huge amount of pee all over- I mean cups full-I didn't think it was possible for a rabbit to hold so much pee. Thearea that she covered on the bed was 2 feet long by one foot ( my dogdoesn't pee that much!)

The other day I was cleaning her cage & picked her up to removesome poop stuck in her fur & when I put her down she floodedher cage & I needed to change & clean everything.

Could this be related to diabetes or something? Any ideas?

Sue

She was taking anti-imflammaotry medication for 2weeks swich ended on the weekend. Her peeing thing only started thispast week or so from what I remember.

The colour is yellow & a little cloudy but seems normal colour.

Sue

How old is Cupcake now? If she's actually being a little pistol and spraying pee, hormones may be the explanation.

Bladder or kidney infections may also be a cause of urination.

As Bo mentioned, the medication may also be the cause of the problem.

Pam

Yup -she was definately lifting her butt& spraying. She is just over 6 months old now. Do females spraytoo? & it is usually in large amounts ( like she was saving itup or something)

Sue

Does have been know to spray and six months old would fit into the time profile for it and puberty.

When our rabbit peed and pooped prolifically on our bed, but used thelitter box when on the floor, I queried people for possibleexplanations. Someone, it might have been Pam, suggested thatthe bed clothes may reek of human scent and that may be the rabbit'smanner of "claiming us" as her own or simply establishing her territory.

Others have noted similar behaviors on sofas and chairs, that alsowould carry heavy human scent. Seemed a plausible explanationto me, so I would cover the bed with a blanket that had spent a greatdeal of time in the basement and in our van wihout much use.It seemed to do the trick.

Worth a try, perhaps.

Buck

Cupcake wrote:
Yup-she was definately lifting her butt & spraying. She is justover 6 months old now. Do females spray too? & it is usually inlarge amounts ( like she was saving it up or something)

Sue

Bad girl :shock: There is the occasional doe that will"spray" and yes, sometimes it is a rather large amount. (Youwill want to double check to be certain that she actually is a she).

Pam

pamnock wrote:
(You will want to double check to be certain that she actually is a she).

Pam

:shock::shock::shock::shock:MISIDENTIFIED SEX???!?!?! Thatnever happens!

Think she's a girl??? Last time I checked shelooked like a girl- I had her to the vet twice & the vet neversaid she wasn't female.

Because of her injury I found that I had to often clean or cut thedried poop away from her butt & several times I carefullychecked the area & there was no sign of any male parts!& at 6 months I would think I could see something? no? I knowwhen they are young its hard to tell.

Sue

Bo B Bunny wrote:
pamnockwrote:
(You will want to double check to be certain that she actually is a she).

Pam

:shock::shock::shock::shock:MISIDENTIFIED SEX???!?!?! Thatnever happens!

LOL (I've lost count the number of times that's happened to our forum members)

I remember when I was apprenticing for my rabbit judginglicense and disqualified a rabbit for being the wrong sex (it was inthe junior doe class and I was very insistent that it was a buck with asplit penis - hypospadias).

The exhibitors were FURIOUS! They snapped, "Well, the last 6 judges that have placed it say it's a DOE!"

I don't think the officiating judge really believed me either, but backed up my decision (I was very adamant).

Weeks later, the exhibitors happened to see the judge at a show andsheepishly informed him that the "doe's" testicles haddropped. It was indeed a little boy ;)

This is just an example of the fact that even the experts -- judges whosex 200+ rabbits at a show don't always correctly sex the rabbitseither (including myself) -- so I wouldn't count on a vet being 100%correct either.

Pam

Oh my! Not another one!!!

Valuran's dropped around five and a half months. Really dropped. LOL Hehad been peeing EVERYWHERE too, including on Chompers. As soon as wegot him fixed, literally the next day he began using the box only. Itwas actually quite impressive.

Cupcake wrote:
OMG- Cupcake could be a "he"! SO at what age do the testicles normally drop?

Sue

The testicles generally drop at about 6 months of age in the smallerrabbits -- so if "she" is a "he", you should be able to note the"evidence". Remember that they can easily retract thetesticles, so gently turn bunny over to look for them.

Pam

And gently brush aside the hair in that area, they are very good at 'hiding' their testicles.

In fact, the vet said that when they went to neuter Gir... he triedvery hard to suck them in so the vet couldnt get ahold of themhehe. Watch bunny butt when Cupcake is hopping around, thatis how I noticed when Gir's dropped... it is quite obvious after yousee it hehe

Peppy's testies are DEFINTITELYnoticable....maybe I should take a pic and post it...not because Im asick rabbit pervert, thats just sick, but it seems a lot of peopledon't know what to look for so maybe it would help???

I checked Cupcake today & no sign of anytesticles. Poor bun , my daughter & I were squeezing &poking around her privates! There is a little opening that does pop outa big like a crater when we press on it but not sure what that means.

I went into my local pet store today & asked them how they tell& they showed me male buns with testicles that were veryobvious & then showed me a female.

Then again some of the younger ones they weren't sure but said I couldbring Cupcake in & the rabbit person would let me know.

I guess I could wait another month or so & see - might want tohave her fixed soon but not sure if she needs to be spade or neutered!:?

Sue

Cupcake wrote:
Ichecked Cupcake today & no sign of any testicles. Poor bun , mydaughter & I were squeezing & poking around herprivates! There is a little opening that does pop out a big like acrater when we press on it but not sure what that means.

Sue

If it has a"taco" shaped opening when you press on it and it is closely attached to the anus -- it's a girl.

A donut shape (on a young buck) which is not as closely attached to the anus is a buck.

Pam

Well, since we are discussing genitalia, and have such a perfect view . . .

An interesting characteristic of the Lagomorph is that the testes liein front of the penis, a distinctive trait they share withmarsupials.

Pam

Latest posts

Back