Emergency! My doe has head tilt - wry neck!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I haven't been able to post as much as I'd like to. Tuesdays are my most busiest days (wouldn't ya know it!).

Here's my update: Biscuit is still sick, but seems to havegotten a little better....at least she isn't getting worse! Iput some oates and dried milk in the hutch for the kits to eat (yes Ihaven't removed the kits, more about that later) and she got up andchowed them down!

She can straighten her head but after a short while it drifts back toabout 45degrees. Up above I said her tilt was 180 and that'swrong. That would make her head upsidedown! It wastilted at a right angle, which would be 90 degree (I wish I paid moreattention in geometry!). The tilt is not as pronounced asbefore, hopefully this is a good sign.

As for the kits, it was breaking my heart to have them seperated fromBiscuit. If anyone has followed my adventure, you know howmuch I've bragged about how good a mom and how much she enjoys herkits. And I am supposed to take that away at her darkestmoment? It would have been very hard on her AND herbabies. So I made the choice to keep the kits with her andtake the chances.

The vet adviced me not to breed Biscuit again or the kits ever and thatif I gave the kits to anyone I should inform them of the head tiltpossibility. She also told me not to breed the buck foranother eight weeks. I wasn't intended to breed them anyway,but wanted to tell the board in case anyone comes across this threadgoing through the same thing.

There is a wonderful article in the current issue of Rabbits Todayabout head-tilt. Very informative. Appearantly thisdisease is controversial and not fully understood. Newmedicines are being offered and new hope.

Thanks again everyone. I have to play catch-up todaybut will try to spend more time posting later.

I forget to say that the cages were scoured withbleach because the e cuniculi spores are in the urine,canlive along time dormant if leftand had to bedestroyed. I rinsed and rinsed the hutches, but they stillsmell like bleach. I have mom and kits in a makeshift pen fornow until the odor subsides.

It was a lot of hard work this morning because I have 5 hutches and Ijust did a thorough cleaning last week before using Woody Pet(which bythe way ROCKS!)using White Vinegar and a scrubbrush. These hutches are ultra clean now!

Does anyone else use bleach to disinfect the hutches? Do therabbits mind the smell? Is it dangerous for them?

Bleach is a very harsh chemical. It isdangerous for any animals. It affects their respiratorysystem. That is why the labeling hasthewarning:AVOID EYE & SKIN CONTACT& INHALATION OF VAPOR OR MIST.

Im sorry to hear that your bun has head tilt.

I lost the battle with head tilt with one of my sisters buns towardsthe end of last year. It is an upsetting thing to see. My sisters bunwas better for a while and then one morning she found that she, was nolonger with us. Luckily for her companion, the stress of it all was nottoo bad for her.

I think head tilt is one of the worse things I have seen with a bun.

I really hope that your bun has a full recovery and that you do not have to see what I saw with my sisters bun.

My thoughts are with you and your bun.

Thanks for the prayers. Biscut is stillsick and doesn't appear to be getting any better. She iseating and drinking (not a lot). She holds her head at about45 degrees, but when she drifts off to sleep, her head goes to 90.

Triscuit (the little runt) is also the same. Caviar(the otherkit I never talk about because he/she has been healthy and perfect) iscomic relief with all this weird hopping practice. He/shejumps in the air and tries to spin around, very cute.

Back