Eh not sure what to do :-/

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolWaterRabbitry

Reaction score
I've hit a tough spot with my dwarf hotots. My main herd buck was marked very low at our last show and the judge helped me see what he's lacking.

Well, then we went home, and I posed up his current litter. Another there is some major faults with the doe (mainly big ears...don't know where that came from). and the buck is low in the shoulders.

When I first started breeding rabbits, I looked at them and thought they were great. They are, I do love them dearly, but they're not very good in quality. They're good maybe for another breeder to start out with.

So I'm at a loss. I can sell and restart. But at this point in time, there are no breeders in my area that have nice typy proven Sr. stock and bearly any nice Jr. stock.

So this brings me to the here and now. I've been sitting on our two Mini Rex's. Both are starting to show so growth and are looking nice (maybe not the best, but nice either way). The judges loved the little boys (they were the smallest/youngest on the table) and we're going to see how they turn out.
We have a show in OH that we're going to this coming weekend, to transfer some rabbits and see how the MRs do.

But I'm really liking the MRs, even though I love my DHs. I had tons of breeders at the last show dying to help us out with showing and giving advise and have quite a few breeders with helpful stock and very nice rabbits they're willing to sell to us to start our breeding herd.
Plus I've had a big turn on with the Mini Rex's personality. The Dwarf hotots have always been sweet to a point, but every MR that we've met hashad a'in your face to give you kisses' kind of temper lol I like that about them too.

Am I wrong for switching breeds? I think I'll keep a doe and a buck from my DHs, but I'm leaning towards putting them on the back burner until something wonderful pops up.....hmm..I just don't know. :-/ (mean while the Rhinelanders have been great! lol)

You are lucky to have DH we dont have them over here and they are such great rabbits! I wouldnt give up on them just yet, maybe if you want to continue breeding them buy some qaulity DH at your next show.

Yeah, I do love the breed. I don't think I would give them up completely. But I might put them on the backburner until something pops up at a show, and in the meanwhile I'll move my MRs foward...lol never thought I would get into liking the MRs so much ^.^

But that's a big thing here too. The dwarf hotots at most (some shows have a lot) do not have a large amount of competition, and until I can get my hands on a steller buck or doe for breeding, I'm falling into the bottom of the barrel.

So...hmm..I think I'll just sell a few off and hold one or two of my best..and start working with the sable point MRs until I can get both breeds to take off... :?

lol Tell me about it. My sable point will inch his way from your lap, to your chest, to your shoulder, then he'll slid his head under your chin and sit there. :biggrin2:It's the cutest thing in the world.

From what I've seen around Ohio, if you are wanting to switch to just rexes, theres sooooooo many to compete with.

If you know the faults with your Hotos, work on it. Take them to the Ohio show, see what that judge tells you. You always hear a little bit different from each judges interpretation. If you get the same info back, find the other Hoto breeders there and find a buck that would help where your doe is lacking and ask if you could breed her to him. Most breeders are more then willing to do that and help.

If you dont want to work with the Hotos anymore then that is fine too. To me, the Mini Rex there were so many people to compete against that I personally felt I couldnt help the breed out THAT much with the small place I have, and I just felt I would never be able to compete. But that is just the way I personally felt.

But YOU should do what will make YOU happy. If that is switching breeds, then do so.

AndersonsRabbits wrote:
From what I've seen around Ohio, if you are wanting to switch to just rexes, theres sooooooo many to compete with.

If you know the faults with your Hotos, work on it. Take them to the Ohio show, see what that judge tells you. You always hear a little bit different from each judges interpretation. If you get the same info back, find the other Hoto breeders there and find a buck that would help where your doe is lacking and ask if you could breed her to him. Most breeders are more then willing to do that and help.

If you dont want to work with the Hotos anymore then that is fine too. To me, the Mini Rex there were so many people to compete against that I personally felt I couldnt help the breed out THAT much with the small place I have, and I just felt I would never be able to compete. But that is just the way I personally felt.

But YOU should do what will make YOU happy. If that is switching breeds, then do so.

That's what I'm planning to do this weekend. I've also talked with a few breeders, but not many are open to that idea nor do they have any stock, but I've sent a few emails to DH breeders in Ohio, so hopefully something will come about.

I do know the faults, there's just a ton in the herd. So I'll be keeping only a few and see how it goes, but I think that my main breeding will switch to Mini Rex then DHs in fewer numbers.

I hear ya on having a ton of competition with a certain breed, but I feel that if I can start with nice rabbits and breed nicer rabbits (even if its just a tad bit nicer) than sooner or later I'll be somewhere near the top...maybe lol I'm used to horse showing with tons competition, so I'm dying to jump in the middle of it.

Thanks all. I think that I'll plan on continuing the DHs, just in smaller numbers and focus on the Minis for now. :)

Hmm, thats so odd that none were willing to work with you. I had so many people just openly offer when I was looking at different types of rabbits to 'oh you can bring her back to breed!' and some just ask for one of the litter.

You should check out www.rabbittalkinohio.net It just has some breeders from Ohio, and that way you could talk to a few more before the show and see if you could get some help. I can PM you an email, I had bought DH from her a few yeras ago. She was extremely nice and if she still has some she'd probs be willing to help =)

HAHA! I just heard back from two different breeders that I haven't talked to in..well months.

One may have a buck I'll be peeking at this weekend.

The other is totally different. She has a chocolate banded DH doe that she was keeping, but couldn't breed in the chocolate using black banded. So the little girl will be coming home with me soon. ^.^ (Since I will be using chocolate MRs for linebreeding with her).

So things are looking up, though I will be most likely breeding a variety or two of MR :)

Latest posts

Back