Edmonton, AHOY!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That will be some move.

JadeIcing wrote:
That will be some move.
Yeah, it sure will. But given our current situation, and the fact that we keep winding up here again (though not nearly as bad as this time), we have to stop the trend now and get to a better place.

I don't doubt the drive will be hard for the animals, but we've got a great crew of animals, and I'm sure it'll be just fine. They'll hate it, I'm sure...but funny thing...the cats will have a harder time than the buns! Fiver's done the long drive thing before, Teddy's flown, Cinnamon's a tough girl...and heck, so is Maisie! I might have a bit of a hard time with Maisie once the drive's over, but we'll be sure to have veggies on-hand to give them to be sure they're eating. Oddly enough, I'm really not worried about their reaction to the drive. They'll have their regular food and hay, of course, and it's good that they've been in the carriers for the time they have, because half the stress (being stuck in a carrier instead of their cages) is something they don't have a problem with right now.

We won't be driving straight through. We'll probably do something like two six hour shifts (one with my driving, one with Danny driving), and then stop at a motel for the night...something like that. We'll also take a good break between shifts, being sure to give the kitties time out of their carriers to go potty (we'll have a litterbox and litter with us), and check on the buns (though we'll be checking on everyone DURING the drive, too), and we'll be sure to make stops along the way and enjoy the states we'll be driving through! I'm sure we'll see loads of spectacular things that just HAVE to be caught on film, so I'll be sure to have my two 1G memory cards empty for the drive!

I just keep thinking about the memories this will create for Emily. She's really going to be amazed. All she's ever seen is California (and believe me, that's not a lot to see, really), so seeing other states, and being in other climates...it'll be really neat for her!

We're also going to stop at my dad's probably for a day on the way out, to be sure to spend good time with him before we go. I don't know how long we'll stay...but it's really necessary for me, since it'll be a long time before I see him again.

Bottom line, though...I'm excited, guys! :D I made so many huge moves as a kid...I know it can be done, and I know my dad will have good tips for us. And...I'm not worried about Emily and the effect it'll have on her. I know she'll be fine...she's so excited...and I've been through so many of these types of moves, and was not only fine, but really enjoyed it! :D

Good Luck with your decision and yourmove. I tried to stay out of the discussion and didn't want to influence your decision on moving out to Edmonton. The economy has slowed, but I don't think the recession has hit this part of the country as bad as what the US is experienced. People are still spending money, I know because my wife does every time she goes to West Edmonton Mall. There are jobs here, it's just what you want to do. I know someone who is immigrating people from the Philippines to work in his store.

The weather is different from California. We are still getting snow (this afternoon), and wedon't get the hot heat like you do.

School might be different for Emily too. She is young and has abright future because you remain so positive and upbeat as I see in your posts.

Stan

I was more concerned with your bottom than the animals. That's alot of sitting. :p I know you will do everything to keep the animals safe. Are any harnessed trained?

The year we went to Lionhead Nationals - we traveled something like 24 hours straight with the rabbits in teeny tiny carriers (like they use to take them to shows). We had over 50 rabbits I think and they all did fine....both there and on the way back. We did stop every 8 hours or so to check on them and water them - and they had air conditioning in the van...so that was a good thing.

Let us know when/where you're moving for sure so we can be praying for you / sending you good wishes!

Good luck with the move - our oldest son's best friend (he's lived with us for almost a year and a half so he is my "adopted son") is moving to Huntington Beach in a few weeks and I am hoping he can make it out there as he has no family.

PA is beautiful - not too far from NY state where we moved to get away from the high cost of Connecticut (Fairfield County).

Denise

So, folks, Edmonton it is. This being decided because of the economy, and really nothing else. Both places had an immense amount of things to offer, both are truly beautiful, and both are places I've always wanted to move to...so it was a really tough decision. Ultimately, we had to look at the fact that the US is going downhill everywhere, and we couldn't know for sure that we wouldn't just wind up in the same situation somewhere alse...and it just wasn't worth the risk.

The good thing about Edmonton...Danny's dad is an electrician, has been living there his entire adult life, and thus has many good connections for Danny to quickly find work. Work might start out being something where he helps out in the oilsands projects up in Ft. MacMurray (sp?) where he'd be staying up there during the week and home on the weekends...which wouldn't be ideal, but it'd be work, and earn us a lot of money in a short amount of time. If nothing else fails, he'd at least easily have that. Given that he's a citizen, he'd probably be able to start work right away, so that's good.

There is definitely a bittersweet aspect to this move, though. Moving away from my dad will be really difficult. I've talked to him about it, and let him know of our move, and talked to a couple other people thus far (we don't have a huge web of friends here, or anything, so there aren't many people to say goodbye to), and to hear the pain in their voices (which, for a couple people has manifested in anger) has been very hard. The fact is, we wouldn't be doing it if our survival was so seriously in jeopardy.

We talked to Em's teacher today, and he let us know that the final testing for their final marks will be happening the first two weeks of May, and he asked that we stay for that, so we let him know we would. That's definitely a huge priority for us...being sure she's able to close out her year. He was very sad to hear of her leaving the school, as he's really loved being her teacher, but he understood the situation.

Aside from those things, we're really excited. I won't miss many things about living here. I'll miss the ocean, and I'll miss my dad and my sister (who I'm still trying to get a hold of...she's so busy, it takes a couple days to get a hold of her). But the 15yrs I've been living here have been no party, for several reasons. I've had the unfortunate experience of living in places that were much more beautiful and friendly ...so the desert and concrete jungle of Southern California was a really disappointing thing for me when I moved here with my mother and sister. This isn't to mention the general attitude of the people that live here. Most people that live here have a very "everyone for themselves" kind of attitude. Help is very scarse, any kind of governmental help is VERY hard to come by, and people are, in general, incredibly self-focused. I won't miss the drivers, the traffic, the impatient people. But I will miss my dad and my sister...and the ability to see either of them pretty much on a moment's notice. I'll miss being able to see Jesse every year because she comes to San Diego. I've been crying about those things, because, though we leave behind few people...they are people that mean a lot to us.

But...we're looking at the bright side of things...and keeping our spirits up. :) After all, we're leaving a MOTEL!! WOO!!! :D

I'll keep y'all posted as far as how things are going, and such. I'm not sure if my FIL has internet, but if he doesn't, we'll get it set up pretty quickly when we get there. It'll be at least three weeks before we leave (and I think that's really ALL it'll be), so we have time to plan (though not much, it's still time, lol). I'm thankful we have a bit of time.

Hugs to everyone!

You have RO people out that way!

Prayers and vibes headed your way.

Woo Hoo:bunnydance:, we gain another RO member. :D

The ocean is over rated anyways. :p We have a beautiful river valley and parks in our city. No smog here. ;) We should convince Jesse to come to Edmonton instead of going to San Deigo every year. :biggrin2:

I havetwo brother inlaws working in Ft. McMurray, and they do go up there during the week and come home on the weekends. However one of them got laid off with the slow down but, he has other jobs and projects to keep him busy.

I have to hide Pebbles now, because I can't risk the chance of gettingher bunnynapped. :hyper:

Coming to the dark side, huh?
You'll love Canada!
We have ketchup chips!

Seriously, I think you'll like it here. If you've got assistance from Danny's dad in terms of finding housing, you're good to go in Alberta. That's where everyone is shifting to in Canada... Touch of a slowdown right now, but its a good buyers market.

I think they're still paying top-collar wages for even basic waitressing out there, aren't they, Stan? I was last out there 2 years ago, and they were offering 18 an hour at Tim Hortons... As long as you've got housing, you've got it made!

Wonderful wonderful wonderful!
You'll be close to so many Canadian ROers, and the Pacific isn't that far away :)
I'm so excited for you guys!

Autumn

Pet_Bunny wrote:

I have to hide Pebbles now, because I can't risk the chance of gettingher bunnynapped. :hyper:
Hehe!! Ya know it!! It's so funny...she reminds me so much of Maisie with that little frowny-type mouth! :)

I can't wait to be there!! :D

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Will you be able to take all the animals to his place? or will you have to rehome them?
Oh, the animals are more than welcome to his place...no worries!! :)

Ok...I have a few questions for those living in Edmonton...

1. Are Oxbow products available out there, or will I need to bring enough food so I can gradually switch them to a new product?

2. If there isn't an Oxbow availability, what are the good foods that are out there?

3. What's the scenerio for getting (Timothy) hay? Would we be able to buy it by the flake somewhere? Are there a lot of places in the area we could shop around from?

Thank you!! :D

:yahoo:Rosie. I missed all this, so thanks for the pm.

I am sooooo happy you are joining us in Edmonton. I find the people very friendly (and unbelievably polite :D). You may find the weather takes some getting used to after all your heat, but I personally love the cold winters and warm summers. However, like you, I really miss the ocean. I mean, no matter where you are in the UK, you were never that far from the sea. Here, it's a mega journey to it. We do have seagulls, though :p.

Like Stan said, I don't think the recession has hit us as badly here as in other places, so hopefully you and Danny can get fixed up. I know it will be hard for you, uprooting and all, but I'm sure it'll be worth it :hug:

And hey, I can feel a meet up coming together :D

Jan

maherwoman wrote:

1. Are Oxbow products available out there, or will I need to bring enough food so I can gradually switch them to a new product?

2. If there isn't an Oxbow availability, what are the good foods that are out there?

3. What's the scenerio for getting (Timothy) hay? Would we be able to buy it by the flake somewhere? Are there a lot of places in the area we could shop around from?

Oxbow is available in Calgary. You can come pick some up on your way. :D
If you aren't willing to come to Calgary every few weeks, I believe you can get Martin pellets in Edmonton. I don't know where, but they are readily available here.
It's Alberta, we have lots of hay. I can get a bale for $4. I am not sure about what farming is like near Edmonton, but if you are willing to drive a bit, you should be able to fine some.

So I expect to see you coming through Calgary. If you need anything on your way up, let me know. I have tons of hay if you would need some and even just a place to rest for a bit. You might not be able to bring your own hay into Canada, so if you need some, just let me know.

Move to England!

Eh, thinking about it, I doubt you'd be able to get a job here either, although they are about.

My FIL and his wife (Step-MIL?) have been trying to leave southern California for years. Their house has been on the market for almost 3 years now, and they can't afford to move until it sells. :(

maherwoman wrote:

You can get Oxbow in Edmonton now. I read that Stan's Vet clinic now sells it. Not sure if there's a petland in Edmonton but they now see it as well. Or you can order it from Calgary from Chewsy Pets like did before it came to Saskatoon.

I know Stan get bales of hay and shares it with his Edmonton friends so he can help you out with that.

Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears wrote:
You can get Oxbow in Edmonton now. I read that Stan's Vet clinic now sells it.
I know Stan get bales of hay and shares it with his Edmonton friends so he can help you out with that.

Yes I just discovered a vet clinic on the weekend that carries Oxbow. They are very close to Luvabun's place andI thinkthe Doctorsare rabbit savvy especially when they made it a priority to have Oxbow. I didn't ask about the prices, but any rabbit food in Edmonton is expensive. I use Martins pellets which is available ata popularpet supply shop.

I am getting my bales of hay from a breeder. As soon as she takes me out to the farm that sells her the hay, I can get it on my own. I am sharing the hay, because my two will never eat that much at a time.

Latest posts

Back