Eating wax?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carole

Reaction score
Has anyone else encountered their crazy bunnies doing this? Wax is inert, and Bo didn't eat too much of the candle, and as he eats a ton of hay and stuff, I'm pretty confident that he'll be fine. On the other hand, I'd feel a lot better if someone who has been through this tells me their story.

Thanks so much!

Sigh, those rascally rabbits! I too have had a bun who one day decided to indulge in a little of the waxy stuff. He had hopped onto his pet taxi that I forgot to put away and was nibbling at the edges of one of my unscented star shaped pillar candles.

He ingested VERY little, but I was still worried so I called the vet and explained. They said since it wasn't that much to just watch his eating/drinking/pooping and offer his greens and lots of hay to keep things moving.

He was fine--no troubles arose from his questionable choice of snack.;)

If in doubt--call that good ole' rabbit savvy vet!

-Beth

Thank you, Beth! I didn't think there was any need to worry, but I feel much better knowing I don't need to worry!

Loki ate half of a birthday candle about three months ago. I watched him like a hawk for about 3 days, but there were no bad side effects. Hope all is well with your little one.

t.

My boy Basil chowed down on a candle a while back. I didnt even notice he had done it until at least a few days later, so I guess he was alright.

As long as he's still eating and pooping you shouldnt worry. Always make sure they're eating lots of hay too when you suspect theyve eaten something they shouldnt have, it keeps their GI tracts moving.

PS. Carole, would you mind posting a general location in your profile? We're asking all our members to do this if they havent already. Even a continent helps. Thanks!)

LOL, if it makes you feel any better, my bun has developed a taste for crayons and candles himself. i've caught him eating my bedside candles and also half a red crayon. didn't do him any harm but i was disappointed when his poop didn't come out red lol

HA! That's a great story!

Bo's doing fine--the wax didn't bother him or slow him down at all!

Thanks for your help!

Latest posts

Back