Eating more pellets than hay??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissMea

Reaction score
I got Monroe about a month ago and she was 8 weeks old. Since I've had her, I notice she eats far more pellets than her hay and some reading I have done says this is bad but a lot of everything I have read says to offer unlimited hay and pellets when they are so young.

Any insight on proceeding? She eats her fresh veggies every night and she has had some fruit as treats occasionally. She has easily doubled in size since I got her as well but doesn't feel overweight and gets plenty of exercise.

TIA

I fill up her bowl about every 3 days -- the bowl itself is maybe 2 or 3 cups. She is eating the Oxbow Young Rabbit Pellets -- I know alfalfa hay is sweeter than Timothy hay could that be why she is eating more of the pellets? Her hay is a mix of alfalfa and Timothy.

I only got my bunny about a month ago too! My rabbit vet told me that at Gnocci's age of 13 weeks, she should only be allowed no more then a table spoon of pellets a day... Unlimited oaten hay and about the size of her head worth of fresh veggies and fruit twice a day. Everything I've read has said to limit your bunnies pellets and they are better off without them as hay is 80% of their diet while the rest comes from fresh stuff. Pellets are high in carb and unless you are buying the good organic ones, they can be pretty bad for the bun. I had no idea before I saw my vet and was feeding Gnocci about a cup a day... Little fatty would never stop eating them. Hope this has been helpful!

While rabbit pellets should be limited, it is usually advised to free feed young rabbits so that they get all the nutrients they need while they're growing. It sounds like she could be eating about 1 cup daily, you could always simply dish up a half a cup daily if it's concerning you. She would still be getting plenty of nutrients and it would also give her the chance to eat more hay as well. I personally feel that 1 tablespoon daily is too small for a growing rabbit. As a 3.2kg adult, Bandit used to get 2 tablespoons daily.

There are different viewpoints on how many pellets to allow rabbits to eat...adult rabbits. With young rabbits, you could be asking for health problems later if they don't get the nutrients they need to develop properly. Sure, they need hay for good gut function, but scrimping on good quality pellets isn't going to provide what they need right now...check the label on the feed bag.

I waited until chewy was 6 months old to start limiting his pellets, at the recommendation of my vet. He showed little interest in hay during that time. When I started limiting his pellets to 1/8 c in the morning and 1/8 c in the evening, I had to coerce him to eat the hay. Then I found orchard grass, which he liked better than the timothy hay. He now eats more orchard grass than his pellets and his timothy hay. I still cannot get him to eat fresh greens. He turns his nose up to anything fresh I offer and goes for the orchard grass.

My boy was sensitive to pellets and produces excess cecals when fed freely so I had to cut him to 1/2 cup per day, 1/4th cup now. Otherwise he has unlimited orchard grass. He turns his nose up to timothy so it's a fruitless endeavor to offer that to him.

I have heard rabbits sometimes will accept hay more readily if you vary it up a little. Try to mix a few different types in, or try one different type at a time, and see which he seems to like best. May just be that he's finicky about which type of hay he likes. :) At times, we have to cater to their opinions when it comes to food. Except when they want to eat the whole bag of craisins, of course lol.

Thanks for the input everyone! I bought some botanical hay yesterday as it was rated a little sweeter and since she likes the alfalfa I thought it might get her eating some more.
She is always eating her fresh veggies daily and fruit as treat so she is getting variety too.
Are the Oxbow pellets a good brand?

Oxbow is a good brand, IMO. When I switched Chewy over to adult pellets, it didn't take him long to take to the Oxbow Adult formula. I did that around 6-7months. The Vet told me to give him 1/4 adult pellets and the rest his baby pellets the first week. Then the next week give 1/2 and 1/2. Then the next week 3/4 adult and 1/4 baby. I use a measuring cup that is 1/8 c and would basically eye the portions.

There aren't many choices for rabbit foods that aren't filled with all the other seeds and fruit pieces and such! I was surprised when I started researching because you look dog and cat foods and there are millions! Haha

Oxbow is a great brand! I don't have many options where I live (Manna Pro and Purina are all) so I order it online. I order from Dr's Foster & Smith, my food got here in excellent condition. :)

There aren't many choices for rabbit foods that aren't filled with all the other seeds and fruit pieces and such! I was surprised when I started researching because you look dog and cat foods and there are millions! Haha

Except dog food doesn't need to be colourful or have mixed bits to be horrible ;)

1/2 cup a day is more then enough for a growing bun. I would say 1/4 cup a day for an adult (per 5lbs) is the max, and buns should get less if their not eating enough hay or their poops aren't nice and solid.

There are different brands depending where you live. I feed Martin adult rabbit. Lots of people feed Oxbow, or that Sherwood forest stuff (I compare people feeding that to the cult like habit of jeep owners lol) Kaytee Pro Health or Timothy isn't bad.

Back