Easter Approaching

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whew!

14 letters to the editor sent out! (one reason I love living in New England - I could hit two states at once ;))

This is so great! Ihate the fact thatrabbits have gotten tied in with Easter. The sad thing is that a lot ofthe breeders in this area are selling their rabbits cheaper now, whichencourages people to get a rabbit this time of year.

I'm going to see what my parents will allowme todo.Maybe theywill let me send something to the paper.

I think that people that are serious about getting a rabbit for Eastershould go to the Humane Society and adopt a rabbit. It would help therabbits and I think most places require the people to sign a contractso they can't get rid of the animal when they get bored with it. Justmy opinion ;).

Lissa

carrots wrote:
Thank you. The RSPCA do have campaigns running around eastertime. The RSPCA and other organisations refuse to let people adoptrabbits around easter time, do any of the shelter in the US do that? ifnot i sugest you advise them to as it seems to work for the RSPCA. Ijust which small shops and farms would do the same, all they can thinkabout is the profit of selling rabbits at 10 pounds each (about 20 USdollars, maybe a bit more). Impulse buying is okwhen its shopping forclothes or peronal gifts but NOT animals.

p.s What do you all think bout fox hunting?
Well, the Petco I work at refuses to sell rabbits the week before andthe week after Easter (not sure about the whole company, but I believeits the same.)

So luckily the word is spreading about the poor rabbits at Eastertime, I just hope this year goes smoothly.

As far as fox hunting... eh, I hate hunting all together. ><

Lindsey wrote:
Well, the Petco I work at refuses to sell rabbits the weekbefore and the week after Easter (not sure about the whole company, butI believe its the same.)
Yay!!

Well, I was going to send a letter in tothe local paper, however, I was beat to it! I'm glad about that becauseit's a high official in the Humane Society so hopwfully people willlisten.

The article was not directed at just bunnies but baby chicks, too. Theyused rabbits for an example of how much work they are and stated theylive to be 7 - 10 years old and require yearly vet visits just like acat or dog.

I was hoping they might have been able to expand a little more and givemore of the down side because I would have hoped that it would deter alot of people from getting bunnies unless they were completely commited.

They didn't have information saying that rabbits are not, in general,kids animals. I know some are -- Sebastian, lol. They didn't say thatrabbits don't need buddies nor did they state how expensive vets arefor rabbits or how sensitive rabbits are. The major point I wish theywould have included was information about the "teen" stage becausemaybe that would at least make people go down to the shelters.

Anyways, overall I'm pretty much pleased that there was an article in the paper giving a general over view.

I might print off some HRS flyers and post them near the schools andperhaps give this website's address so that perspective parents cancome and do some research by talking to rabbit owners.

Well, a local paper printed my letter to theeditor last week, and today they ran an article: "Getting a bunny: Nota good choice for Easter".

woo.gif

hehe...oh yeah...

Overall, I was pleased with the message of the article, thoughsome of its finer points were, well...*eh* But, it was good forthem to run:

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200550314078

I would have wanted a bit more of a rabbit-positive spin, and itcould have at least included an organization like the House RabbitSociety as a place to get more information from. But, I figure it'llget the message across to some people.

wow, renting a pet. Sounds kinda ridiculous. Whywould you want to rent a cat or a dog for a week? The same I think withbunnies. The whole point of getting a pet is to get attached to it.

The origin of Easter bunny for people who wonder what bunnies have to do with Easter.

The Easter Bunny is a symbolic rabbit or hare, usually in depictions,used in the celebrations of Easter -- especially in Western Europeancultures.
[edit]

Alleged pre-Christian origin

The word "Easter" is sometimes said to have originated from the name ofa pre-Christian goddess named Eostre, drawing on an isolated remark bythe medieval English historian Bede to that effect; it is also allegedthat she was sometimes depicted with a hare's head and is thus theorigin of the Easter Bunny. Her associations with the hare -- if theyexist -- seem to be related to its high fecundity (ability to reproducequickly). Her connections with the hare would appear to be the originof the Easter Bunny, eggs being a worldwide symbol of fertility. Astory is told that the goddess turned her pet bird into a rabbit toentertain some children. The rabbit immediately laid some brightlycolored eggs, which the goddess gave to the children.

It is important to note that apart from Bede's isolated comment, nopre-19th century source has, to date, been brought to light for thisstory or any other alleged connections between Eostre and other Eastercustoms. See Eostre for more on this.
[edit]

Modern history

It is thought that the idea of the Easter Bunny was developed by GermanProtestants, who wanted to retain or re-introduce the Catholic customof eating colored eggs for Easter, but did not want to introduce theirchildren to the Catholic rite of fasting, which was the reason for theabundant availability of eggs at Easter time (they were forbidden toCatholics during the fast, thus eggs layed during the fast were storeduntil the feast).

The idea of an egg laying rabbit came to the United States in the1700s. German immigrants in the Pennsylvania Dutch area told theirchildren about the "Osterhase" (also: "Oschter Haws") or Easter Bunny.Only the good children received gifts of coloured eggs in the neststhat they had made in their caps and bonnets before Easter. Presumably,the Oschter Haws laid them when they were not looking.

In the United States, the Easter Bunny purportedly leaves baskets oftreats (including Easter eggs and assorted chocolates) on Eastermorning for good children. This is a common practice even innon-Christian households, as Easter has started to become a morenon-sectarian festival, like Halloween or Valentine's Day.

Back