Ear tattoo?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prince_and_thumper

Reaction score
My mini rex bunny, Thumper, has a tattoo in his left ear. It says 'S8'. I had gotten him from someone else, so he did not come with papers, and I was thinking of showing him until I found out I needed papers.

So, Is there a way I could find the original breeder to get the papers? Or would I need to contact his previous owner?

Also, what do you think the letter and number mean? And is there any other way I can show him, or do I definitely need papers for it?

You can show him as long as he is tattooed and can meet the standard for his breed. Tattoo systems are usually unique only to the rabbits in a particular rabbitry, and not the breeder, so tracking down his papers that way will probably not work out.

You'll need a complete 3 generation pedigree to register him, but thats it.

As Clevername said, you can show him without "papers". You do need to check if he meets the standard for the Mini Rex breed. Not overweight, good fur color, eye color, nail color, ears not too long, etc. (You can put him on the show table, but if he doesn't meet the breed standard, he may be disqualified.)

The pedigree is really only important if you intend to register him with the American Rabbit Breeders Association (usually for the goal of Grand Championing him) or if you intend to breed him. You might be able to ask the person you bought him from, who they got hm from. If you contact the person, ask if the pedigree is available and what they charge to re-issue one. (Some breeders won't give you a pedigree if the rabbit has been resold.) But you can definitely show him if you want!

i would show him, just to try him see how he does! I find shows very exciting. Except mini rexes, they just take sooo long at least the solid blacks.

Latest posts

Back