Dyscalculic

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishlops

Reaction score
ok. basiclly dyscalculic is dyslecxiic for maths. ok. i need to know where to go to get a proffestional to cheak it out. my mum is backing me. sort of..:( Best estimates indicate that somewhere between 3% and 6% of the population are affected. These statistics refer to children who are ‘purely’ dyscalculic – i.e. they only have difficulties with maths but have good or even excellent performance in other areas of learning.
it is layout better to read in my blog page 4.
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=44649&forum_id=6&page=4
thanks

They suspected me to have dyscalculia and I went on to do a maths degree and get a good pass, so firstly, it doesn't have to hinder you.

You need to talk to a teacher at your school. There will be a SENCo and they will be able to advise you and your mum on what is best to do and where to go from here.

Flashy wrote:
They suspected me to have dyscalculia and I went on to do a maths degree and get a good pass, so firstly, it doesn't have to hinder you.

You need to talk to a teacher at your school. There will be a SENCo and they will be able to advise you and your mum on what is best to do and where to go from here.
i cant talk to my math teacher. she does not like me....
my mum email a place about it. so she is waitting for a reply.
will i say to my form teacher

Yeh, they would have to have someone who co-ordinates that, even if its not of that name. The person may also be a teacher, or some other type of staff member. So you need to find out who it is and approach them, or else approach a teacher you trust and they may be able to sort out having contact with the person who deals with SEN.

Flashy wrote:
Yeh, they would have to have someone who co-ordinates that, even if its not of that name. The person may also be a teacher, or some other type of staff member. So you need to find out who it is and approach them, or else approach a teacher you trust and they may be able to sort out having contact with the person who deals with SEN.
form teacher.
ok. ill txt my mum. she is in surry, uk for the next few days.
right... ill ask tomorrow in school
but do i get the teacher to diganois it?

:) Good luck.

No, no teacher will be able to diagnose it, you would need a proper assessment, but the person who deals with SEN would be able to sort that out with the right person, although you would probably need for your mum (or dad) to liaise with the school for it to be sorted properly. They would need to fight your corner.

Flashy wrote:
:) Good luck.

No, no teacher will be able to diagnose it, you would need a proper assessment, but the person who deals with SEN would be able to sort that out with the right person, although you would probably need for your mum (or dad) to liaise with the school for it to be sorted properly. They would need to fight your corner.
is that free????

It is over here, but I have no idea about over there. I know that over here you can be tested privately which obviously costs, but most people go through their school system.

Flashy wrote:
It is over here, but I have no idea about over there. I know that over here you can be tested privately which obviously costs, but most people go through their school system.
"over here" means uk? if so. n.i is in uk..

i cant.. she is flying now in the plane...
im going to do my history homework then im going out d=side to play now she is not here... then ring her... then post here.

Flashy wrote:
I say 'over here' meaning England. I don't know if your school system is the same as ours. I know Scotland isn't, but Wales is.
i doubt its in ireland then...
will it be ok if my mum comes in to talk to my form teacher/maths....
i still have to ring her, but she normally would

It's far better for the parent to be able to do the talking (and also more commonplace too), so yes, her talking to your teacher would be a good idea.

Flashy wrote:
It's far better for the parent to be able to do the talking, so yes, her talking to your teacher would be a good idea.
:)
im glad i might not be just stupid

If you don't have this, then you're still not stupid. Everyone has different strengths, and ok, maths may not be yours, or maths with this teacher, or taught this way, might not be yours, but you will have strengths.

What are you good at? It can be academic or not.

I was able to learn maths at high school, and at uni, but at sixth form I couldn't learn it. I just couldn't learn from the teacher at all, and nearly failed. Thankfully I was accepted onto a degree course and learnt from that teacher and was second in the class at the end of the course.

Different things work for different people, and everyone has different strengths. Don't do yourself down.

i am good at art. science. hitory.r.e. irish. tecnogly.
english. geography. h.e.
--------------------------------
not music, maths and drama.
if you have dyscaultic selfesteem is not good or confidence- drama.
music- am am good in a way... i just cannt read notes.. like the symptoms.
maths-stated in my blog.
----------------------------------
and also it says apart from music and maths. pupils my exacl in other subjects. in those in the good bit the lowest was 79%

Back