dwarf dominate gene?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cocorabbit

Reaction score
Ok I posted before about breeding my mini lionhead doe. Most told me that the buck should be same size or smaller than her or she could die giving birth because the kits would be too big.

I just read online that dwarf size rabbits carry a dwarf gene, and that is a dominate gene, so all the babies will be born dwarf size. Hence, that's why lionheads are a smaller breed because they were bred with rabbits carrying the dwarf gene.

SO, is this correct understanding: if the buck is slightly bigger than my doe, the kits and the mother will be fine because they will all inherit her dominate dwarf gene?

The dwarf gene is recessive. When 2 dwarf rabbits are bred, there is a 25% change of a kit not getting the gene and being a bit bigger, a 50% chance of getting 1 copy of the gene and being a normal dwarf and a 25% chance of getting 2 copies and being a peanut (peanuts do not survive long).
When a non dwarf is bred to a dwarf, there is a 50% chance of a kit not getting the gene and a 50% chance of it getting the dwarf gene. Breeders would only breed the ones with the gene to get the gene more into a population.

Some breeds are small just because they are bred small. The polish (ARBA) is one of those breeds. They do not have the dwarfing gene, but are a small breed.

The size of the buck should be pretty close to the doe. If he is a bit bigger it should be fine, but if she is a dwarf and he is not it can be an issue. Size in relative, a 2 pound difference is huge to a dwarf, but fine for a Flemish giant.

It may be a bigger problem for the smaller rabbits but my original breeding for my crossbred rabbits was a Checkered Giant buck to a New Zealand doe, all had babies just fine and even the same size as the babies they are having now with the New Zealand buck.
If your buck is a bit bigger just go with it, in every breeding no matter what breed there is a risk of losing the doe due to oversize kits or other problems.

hmmm interesting. I will have to go back and re-read that website. But thank you for your experienced info! that does help a lot. :brown-bunny:bunnybutt:

is there a reason you want to breed the two so much?
or is it possible for you to just get another male which is
smaller or female that is bigger?

ooh... good question. Actually I was hoping to for the color mostly. The male is orange and I was hoping if they breed then at least some of the kits will turn out with his coloring.

I have another question. I have two does right now. Should I breed both of them at the same time? Or just one at a time? Any suggestions?

Some people would advise breeding both at the same time. If one Mom has a problem, you can foster the kits to the other.

Wishing you luck on what you decide.

K :)

Excellent point ZRabbits! I would also like to add that if the dwarfing gene were dominate, there would be a major problem with there being litters upon litters of peanuts. Being as that is not the case, the dwarfing gene cannot be truly dominate.

CCWelch wrote:
I would also like to add that if the dwarfing gene were dominate, there would be a major problem with there being litters upon litters of peanuts. Being as that is not the case, the dwarfing gene cannot be truly dominate.

*DING*! that totally makes sense... DUH!!!! Haha.. ok I must have misread that on the website. Now that you say it that way, it doesn't make sense. Thanks!

:thumbup

Latest posts

Back