Dry Skin and Fleas!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger_and_Tommie

Reaction score
We recently moved into a new place and the room mates has 3 cats and she recently told me they have flea's. I didn't think nothing of it, since I read that the bedding I use, repels flea's. Well recently I notice Trigger doing an odd behavior I never seen him do before, when I would pour the water into his cage from a cup, he would go right underneath is, and would then like use his paws to like try to cleanse his head.
A few days ago I went to brush him and i noticed he has a scab there and the fur is missing. Is this just cause of the water drying his skin out or is it something more serious? Is there anything I can do about it? I will post a photo later when I have more time.

Also he has a lot of flea's around him at this time now too. I'm so worried about my bun bun. I just want to cry for him. I seen Petsmart has this 8 in 1 flea and tick spray for small pets and the reviews are good. What do you use? I just want my bun to stay in tip top shape. Anything you could recomment would be appreciated. :brown-bunny

It sounds like he does have something irritating his skin. Could be fleas or mites. A lot of the cat and dog flea and mite treatments can be harmful to rabbits. The best and safest application for rabbits is Revolution. It's rx so you would have to ask your vet for it. Just never use frontline(fipronil). It's toxic to rabbits.

You should be able to call a vet and get a kitten dose of Revolution for like $16. I just bought some for my cats and for one tube for that price.
I'm not sure about the dosing for a rabbit though, since they're different than cats, maybe someone else can help with dosing.

But Revolution is pretty inexpensive. Maybe you could get your roommates to chip in for a few tubes and treat all the cats for fleas too so there isn't a problem again? I think most of the time you can get singles or you might be able to get a four month supply and do one for each cat and one for your rabbit.
Fleas are no joke, we had an infestation a few years ago and it took weeks, several bug bombs, an easy hundred dollars in flea meds, several baths, stuff for the yard, stuff for the house, constant brushing to get rid of them. It was horrible.

You'll probably want to combat it before it gets out of hand. Its no fun having to give cats a bath.

Dosing for revolution is 18mg/kg.

Please don't use pet store flea/tick products on your rabbit.

No matter what you dose, it will be pretty useless unless you treat all the cats a few times, and keep treating them year round (if they go outdoors) and do a deep clean of the entire house.
You MUST get rid of the source and treat all the animals.

And what bedding are you using if you say its supposed to repel fleas? This really worries me. Are you using Cedar bedding?

You really need to get your roommates to treat the cats while you treat the bunny. For the cats to get revolution they have to be seen by a vet and possibly combo tested. A rabbit not so much. Usually you can just tell the vets office it's for a rabbit and they don't ask questions but they might just want to do an exam and it'd also be helpful to you to get his skin checked out. It is possible that he is scratching a lot from the fleas and that's what's causing the irritation but like someone else said mites could also cause this. Don't forget about the fact that irritated and itchy skin can get turn into an infection so don't let it get too out of hand

Don't forget to treat your place. The environment holds about 90% of the flea population so spraying and vacuuming is essential or you will be flea ridden in no time! Fleas do bite humans too

Latest posts

Back