Drive time for a Neuter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thinaeariel

Reaction score
Saw another poster on here asking about a Rabbit Spay in AZ. We are in Tucson, and the ones we found nearby were 400-700 dollars. Kind of insane, right?! I'm all for keeping our bunny healthy, but DANG!

Anyway, my question is: do you think it would be safe for us to drive 1.5 hours to go to a vet who does them for $180 (which is still a lot, but much better!) Since I'm sure bunnies wont feel the best after such a procedure. Maybe they would still be a big groggy and wouldn't mind/notice? Anyway just wondering what you bunny experts thought :)

It can depend on the rabbit. Many do travel well, but some get really stressed. You might want to get him used to the carrier and car a bit before you take him. Rabbits tend to not eat when the car is moving, so that can be a bit risky, but they usually do fine.

If you think he will be fine in the car, then go for it. He's probably not going to be feeling too well anyway. The important thing would be that he is eating before the drive home (at least something at the vet) and you get him eating when he gets home. Being prepared to force feed if you have to won't hurt.

Then I also go on worrying that I'm cutting corners by trying to get a lower priced Neuter. 1.5 hour drive to Casa Grande is $180 dollar job, drive 2 hours to North Phoenix it's apparently only $69 dollars. So why on earth in Tucson is it INSANE?!

400-700 is insane! Holy!
I would go elsewhere just for the sake of not giving those over-inflated vets my business! Sheesh!

But yes, distance all depends how your bun handles car rides. And ensuring he gets to eat at the vet before the procedure and after, before going home :)

I feel that you need to go by the vet and not the cost. Areas outside a bit city tend to be cheaper as they tend to have lower rent and some other costs are lower.
You should ask lots of questions of the vet and the staff. Rabbits are different from dog and cats, so they do need a bit different care. Even if a vet says they treat rabbits, some are not competent with them.

If you feel it is a good vet, then the cost isn't so much of an issue, you can look to save some money. I would not recommend a cheaper vet just based on price if the care is not the same.

Latest posts

Back