dried pinecones

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbotina

Reaction score
So i heard we can bake pinecones on 200degreesfor 10mins and bunnies like to chew these once cooled. Do they like thegreen pinecones or the brown ones?

I think dry brown pinecones would be betterbecause they have less sap and they can pick them up by thescales. Some companies actually sell those for rabbits.:)

there's a house around the corner from us thathas a HUGE pine tree in the front yard. Every time I walk the puppy, Igo past that house (it's currently unoccupied) and pick up as many pinecones as I can.
I bake them at 250 for 15 - 20 minutes and then turn off the heat andlet them sit in the oven for another 10-15 minutes. Maybe a bitoverdone, but better safe than sorry. Gotta kill the little buggies anddry out as much of the aromatic oil as possible.

Does anybody else find that their whole housesmells like a bush fire and there is smoke everywhere when baking thepinecones, or am I doing something wrong... :lookaround

Eve wrote:
Doesanybody else find that their whole house smells like a bush fire andthere is smoke everywhere when baking the pinecones, or am I doingsomething wrong... :lookaround
Oh, my!:shock: Did I mention the bucket of water that you keep nearby??

If the cones are opened all the way and they're already pretty dry, you may want to lower the heat a bit.
The ones I collected a few months ago were still a little greenand kind of sizzled in the oven.
The last ones, from a few days ago, were pretty dry and got a little "toasted".

Are there certain varieties of pine cone thatare better for the bunnies than others, i.e. cones from a NorwegianPine vs. Ponderosa Pine or other varieties of pine trees or sprucetrees?

Heather

nuttinbutrouble wrote:
Are there certain varieties of pine cone that are better forthe bunnies than others, i.e. cones from a Norwegian Pine vs. PonderosaPine or other varieties of pine trees or spruce trees?

Heather
I had the same question...:yeahthat

BTW, anyone know if a place to buy pinecones that dosent cost an armand a leg?? I went to a few places and all I could find were scentedpine cones...:disgust:I saw them and got all excited, therewere the right size and a nice big bag too, then realized they werescented...:angryrant...I thought they would have some for crafts orsomething...but no..very frustrating.

Latest posts

Back