Does temp affect a baby's ear length?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Stee

Reaction score
Okay, so I accidently posted with James' account.

Disclaimer: I actually do like my mother-in-law.:D

As I may have mentioned before, my mom-in-law used to raise New ZealandWhites for food and for the kids to show in 4H. She was justover at my apartment and was telling her mom-in-law (James grandmother)that in dwarf rabbits like Mocha, ear length is a disqualifier and thatyou have to raise baby rabbits in cooler temperatures to make them havesmaller ears. Now, this sounds like bunk to me for severalreasons. Anyone else?

Also, my rabbits hate her.:p When Mocha was a baby she pickedher up by the scruff of her neck. I asked her to sex Mocha,and she was convinced that my princess was a boy. She pokedaround until she made SOMETHING stick out and said it was "his"penis. So you can imagine my shock when I took Mocha in to beneutered and she ended up getting spayed! Which begs thequestion, what was that sticking out???? Not to mention,after the whole scruffing incident Mocha was afraid of people a wholeday when she would normally only avoid us for 30 seconds after beingpicked up.

So Mocha must have told Loki about the mean lady who scruffs you andpokes and your nether regions. Both my buns are usuallycurious about strangers and will eventually allow somepetting. Both ran, hid, and thumped. Alot. I got a real kick out of it.:bunnydance:

Hmm, I wonder if James will tell her that I posted this?:ponder:

When I used to attempt to sex young rabbits(haven't done this in many years now)...in pushing gently with thethumb, the male's penis will protrude and appear round (in very youngbunnies a male bun can be confused with a female, and vice versa). Inthe females the vaginal opening can 'protrude' somewhat and be mistakenfor a penis, but the difference between the two is that the opening ofthe females' genitalia will appear longer (like a 'V'), whilethe males' will be rounder.

As for ear length, I usd to think that was an old wives' tale, but manybreeders I used to know did attest to it's authenticity, and wouldlplan breedings around the seasons. I'd been told to breed thesmaller-eared varietys in cooler weather and longer-eared breeds in thewarmer months.

LOL...I guess your mum-in-law will have to win back her favor with yourbuns, from the sounds of it! They let her know what they think! :D

I'm afraid I do find it's true... My summerFlemish Babies will have longer ears than Winterbabies. If I have a doe with less than the acceptedear length, I will breed her for the summer so her babies have longerears. (Flemish have to have a minimum ear length of 5 3/4" onan adult).

We also do not breed Mini Rex for show during the summer cause theirears "sprout". Too long an ear (over 2 1/2" on the Mini Rex)is a DQ on the show table.

I know some people think it's an old wives tale, but I kepttrack of ear length on our babiesfor 3 years, and averagedthe summer temperatures by the week. The hotter it was duringthe early weeks in the nest box, the longer the ears. Hightemps at the end of the nursing period don't seem to affect the lengthas much.

BlueGiants wrote:
I'm afraid I do find it's true... My summer Flemish Babieswill have longer ears than Winter babies. If I havea doe with less than the accepted ear length, I will breed her for thesummer so her babies have longer ears. (Flemish have to havea minimum ear length of 5 3/4" on an adult).

We also do not breed Mini Rex for show during the summer cause theirears "sprout". Too long an ear (over 2 1/2" on the Mini Rex)is a DQ on the show table.

I know some people think it's an old wives tale, but I kepttrack of ear length on our babiesfor 3 years, and averagedthe summer temperatures by the week. The hotter it was duringthe early weeks in the nest box, the longer the ears. Hightemps at the end of the nursing period don't seem to affect the lengthas much.

How much more do the ears grow during the summer on a flemish?

Ear length is primarily genetics. Wehave Holland Lop babies now with very long ears (those that didn'tinherit the dwarfing gene) and also those with very shortears. We've gotten very long ears in the winter aswell. Outcrossing tends to increase ear length, wherelinebreeding can help to set the trait of shorter ears.

English Lop breeders used to keep their stock in a very warmenvironment to increase ear length, but they found that the heat wasnot a primary factor in increasing ear length and the hot, humidenvironment was also bad for the rabbit's health.

So, heat may have some effect on ear length and substance/thickness ofear, but in my experience, it is not significant. Although,the warm, steady temperatures do help lop ears drop.

Pam

My Netherlands that were born in the winter orspring do have the smallest ears.However i recently had a doe withlarge ears, no matter what she was bred too all the babiesears were too big.She was sold.bluebird

I know it is primarily genetics, andIalways try to breed the animals with the most correct traits.But I really do see some length/width differences between thesummer babies and the winter babies. And when your going totry and show your animals. ifyou get a litterofbabies witha 1/4" longer ear thanmommyand daddy, it can be a good thing! :)

And yeah, excess heat can make even a Flemish ears drop! Poor things!

Hope everyone in the northeast can keep their bunnies cool today. It's gonna be another hot one!

Dont worry BlueGiants... Anubis is currentlylounged by the AC. He is the only one really affected by theheat lately. He is muttering at me as we speak (I took awayhis favorite grass mat since it needed to be thrown out)

Shawn is more apt to turn on the AC for the rabbits then for me when I am having breathing problems =p

Latest posts

Back