Does my rabbit have fur mites?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animaluver

Reaction score
I have a brown mini lop which I am not sure if he has fur mites. He is getting bald spots on his stumach, chest, and shoulders. Once one bald spot grows back, the other goes bald. I believe this is fur mites but what is weird is that I have two other dwarf hotots in a cage next to him, but they don't get them. This has been happening for a couple months now because I can't afford to take him to a vet. Is this fur mites or like a skin infection? Should I buy Advantage or Revolution (I heard they are safe for rabbits) and try it? Also, I looked in his fur and there were tiny white things but I couldn't tell if they were moving because I think fur mites look tiny and white if I am right. Please help, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

It is very likely that your bunny has Cheyletiella-a common fur mite in rabbits. Maybe they just have not spread to your other bunnies yet? The lifecycles takes 5 weeks, so maybe mites just haven't yet hatched on the others. It would be good if you could get your bunny to a vet where they can do a skin scrape to see what type of mite is involved. If it is cheyletiella, Advantage will not be effective against it. Likely the vet will want to give ivermectin.

Here's a good article: http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

It could be mites, an allergy, or something fungal. If you have a vet you've seen they'll likely be wiling to prescribe you a dose of revolution (selamectin) which should clear up mites if that's the problem. It's prescription only in the US because it's also effective against heartworm in dogs and cats but if you tell your vet it's for a rabbit they may just give you a dose. Advantage is not effective against mites.

Latest posts

Back