Does anyone have chickens?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itstrist

Reaction score
I'm getting two new silkie chickens this summer and instead of building them a new coop I was considering buying one. I found this one on Craigslist for $50 and I thought it was a pretty good deal. It is 8 in off ground, Main box is 24 in X 37 in
& Laying boxes are 12 X 11in. I would construct a completely enclosed run and a much better door for this coop if I got it. ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1400641103.492429.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1400641110.820152.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1400641117.032018.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1400641125.568824.jpg

$50 seems very over priced for that little thing. you would probably be better off building it your self for cheaper. i was a chicken owner but resently lost my hole flock. 15 more chicks coming next month! :waiting:

thing is I priced everything out to build it and it's gonna be about $175 to build it.. plus the cost of my chicks and food. everything is so expensive these days. and it makes it even worse that my silkies won't roost or fly because it limits me to a short coop, on the ground so they don't have to go up or down steep lamps. 😩😩😩

For just a couple of birds, it seems adequate. And I don't think it's overpriced at all. It's a nice, cozy little coop. a Mini-Coop :)
Something like that would go for about $100 where I live.
And Silkies DO roost, just not very high off the ground. :)
Roosting is preferred, because otherwise, they will end up with bald bellies, so I would put a roost about a foot off the ground in there somewhere. :)

Good luck with your new feather babies! :) And Congratulations!

I would, however, move the feeder out of there and to the outside.
It will encourage the birds to go out, and will prevent them from pooping in it. (Speaking from experience!)

Do chickens need to have food and water over night? I plan to lock them up at night so if I put the food and water outdoor they won't have access at night. another question, do you let your chickens out every day at the crack of dawn? or will I be okay to let them out around 10 or so as long as I keep the time consistent?

chickens sleep all night long. they wont move from the spot they fall asleep till they wake up in early morning.

I have chickens. I've got 13 and more will come later, so I have a big coop:

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1400682810.768159.jpg
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1400682824.449179.jpg
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1400682842.434746.jpg
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1400682863.636481.jpg

Sorry about the grainy photos.

I have chickens. I've got 13 and more will come later, so I have a big coop:

View attachment 10220
View attachment 10221
View attachment 10222
View attachment 10223

Sorry about the grainy photos.

Chickens don't actually seem to care about a consistent time. I let mine out from 8 am to 1 pm to free range and they lay more than an egg a day each.

Also, we do the same thing with the water and food. They don't need it all night long. I keep it outside so hey don't poo too much inside.

Chickens are really easy animals. They are great for a beginning hobby farmer. They just need to be fed, watered, locked up at night, and be given some affection/attention to be healthy. However, don't forget to clean the coop every 2 weeks or so, because YUK.

Whoops! Didn't mean to copy that...

awesome. I think I will make the coop higher off the ground and put the food and water underneath the coop. does that sound good? I'm only starting with two and if the two work out, next spring I am going to expand and make a bigger coop and possibly try my hand at incubating some eggs. 😋

also, what should I do about ventilation? it's to short to add a window plus that will take away from the heat in the winter time...

Sounds good. Yes, chickens NEED ventilation in both summer and winter. I would just drill a few medium size holes in two sides of the coop. That will work.

Latest posts

Back