Doe/hay issues

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyricecs

Reaction score
I have a 2 yr old Doe that gets mushy poops every time she's fed hay. It doesn't get better with multiple feeding. Her buck sibling isn't bothered by hay at all.. Anyone have any idea why ? I've tried 2 different types.

What variety of hay have you tried, a grass or legume hay, and which type? Was it a very soft leafy hay, a mix of leaf and hard stems, or mostly hard stems? A lot of mature seed heads or not too many? Any signs of mold (damp or wet, black and white spots, white dust, sour or musty smell) or any weeds in the hay?

What variety of hay have you tried, a grass or legume hay, and which type? Was it a very soft leafy hay, a mix of leaf and hard stems, or mostly hard stems? A lot of mature seed heads or not too many? Any signs of mold (damp or wet, black and white spots, white dust, sour or musty smell) or any weeds in the hay?
This time the Hay is a bail of Timothy hay, store bought, stems and leaves, not many seed heads. No mold. She get mushy poops with every kind I've tried.

Can you describe in more detail, when the mushy poop first started and what foods you were feeding her at the time, and why you believe it's the hay causing the mushy poop?

Have you tried any diet where she didn't get mushy poop, and if so, what was she fed and how long did it last? What pellets, vegetables, treats, supplements is she normally fed, with or without hay? Has she ever been fed a diet of only free fed good quality grass hay (like timothy), and if so, for how long and what was the result? Does she have normal fecal balls along with having the mushy poop?

Can you describe in more detail, when the mushy poop first started and what foods you were feeding her at the time, and why you believe it's the hay causing the mushy poop?

Have you tried any diet where she didn't get mushy poop, and if so, what was she fed and how long did it last? What pellets, vegetables, treats, supplements is she normally fed, with or without hay? Has she ever been fed a diet of only free fed good quality grass hay (like timothy), and if so, for how long and what was the result? Does she have normal fecal balls along with having the mushy poop?

She is 2 and a 1/2 years old. And the first time I noticed machine poop was after she had hay. However I kept giving it to her because I didn't think it was the hay. I stopped the hay and there were no more messes on her or the cage.

Recently my husband took over feeding for me while I was sick. I was unaware that he was feeding all of the rabbits Hey. And only her cage was a mess and so was she.,

She is on blue seal, show hutch Deluxe. Occasionally she gets a vegetable, but not any carrots.usually kale. But only occasionally weather permitting. Kale Has never affected her either way..

She has normal poops and her crate small round formed.,,,until she gets hay.

I'm gonna buy better hay and see if it's just that hay.

The only times I've heard of an owners rabbit getting mushy cecotropes from the hay, and the hay is good quality and not spoiled or contaminated, is if the hay is a really soft and rich early growth of hay.. This kind of hay will usually be very green and leafy, with little to no hard stems and seed heads. It's usually the third hay cutting. The other time I've seen hay cause mushy cecotropes is if the hay is a grain hay like oat, that's a mature cut with lots of mature seed heads full of grain, which then adds too many carbs to the rabbits diet when eating the seed heads, and so disrupting the microflora in the cecum resulting in mushy cecotropes.

It does sound like your rabbit is sensitive to the hay you're feeding. If it's pretty soft and leafy, it may just be too rich of a hay for your rabbit. I would suggest trying a more mature cut with more hard stems. Usually second cut timothy is a good mix of leaf and stem. Or first cut timothy is usually the most coarse cut with the most hard stems. That would be my suggestion to try next, one of those 2 cuts.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Hay

The only times I've heard of an owners rabbit getting mushy cecotropes from the hay, and the hay is good quality and not spoiled or contaminated, is if the hay is a really soft and rich early growth of hay.. This kind of hay will usually be very green and leafy, with little to no hard stems and seed heads. It's usually the third hay cutting. The other time I've seen hay cause mushy cecotropes is if the hay is a grain hay like oat, that's a mature cut with lots of mature seed heads full of grain, which then adds too many carbs to the rabbits diet when eating the seed heads, and so disrupting the microflora in the cecum resulting in mushy cecotropes.

It does sound like your rabbit is sensitive to the hay you're feeding. If it's pretty soft and leafy, it may just be too rich of a hay for your rabbit. I would suggest trying a more mature cut with more hard stems. Usually second cut timothy is a good mix of leaf and stem. Or first cut timothy is usually the most coarse cut with the most hard stems. That would be my suggestion to try next, one of those 2 cuts.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Hay
Thank you. I'll try a new

Back