Do smaller bunnies jump higher than larger bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l.lai

Reaction score
Just a quick question:

Do smaller breeds like Netherlands have better jumping abilities than say, a Mini Rex or a NZ or Flemish Giant?

I'm asking because my younger smaller Netherland can jump from the ground to my bed with no problems and does it routinely, whereas my significantly larger mini lop seems a lot more lazy, will binky but not get anywhere near the heights of my nethie.

The mini lop would never dream of jumping off my bed onto the ground.

I do agility with my bunnies. I do think that smaller buns can jump higher than larger ones. Dutch breeds seem to do very well at agility. I have a lionhead, mixed breed and giant angora. The angora can't jump as high or move as fast as the other two.
Large breeds don't move as easily as smaller ones. Smaller rabbits are also lighter and so can use their powerful legs to go higher.

I believe that same generalization is also true for dogs, at least in relation to size. A small breed can fairly easily jump their own height, whereas a larger or giant breed has trouble doing that. The medium sized (about 50ish pounds) tend to do the best, lighter dogs can also do better.

It really depends on the build of the breed. Breeds with lower head mounts such as Mini Lops are also less likely to jump than breeds such as Netherlands with lower head mounts. Full arch types are most likely to take flying leaps, where a commercial or semi-arch breed tends not to. Tans are infamous jumpers/climbers, I've also seen Hares jump very highstraight-up in the air. Checkereds are another big breed that can jump high.

Pam

Our checkered giant can get quite a bit of air, but the champ is our little brown mini-rex. If I leave her hutch open she will jump in--so, when her exercise time is over, I just open her door and she puts herself up. Hutch, our dutch boy is called the "binky king".

I ask because this morning, my bunny was on top of his hiding hole (he doesnt go into the hiding hole much, most times he's sitting on top of it) and he jumped out of his pen!

It's a tall pen too, i hope he didnt hurt himself because he landed on tiles!

Latest posts

Back