Do I need to clean/wash my bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

featpete

Reaction score
I just got my new Netherland Dwarf a few days ago and she's about nine weeks old. I know that in general you're not supposed to bathe them, but I also know that it's unhealthy for them to live in their own urine.

I let her out of the cage for a bit today and she ended up peeing on the hardwood floor, which she then walked through, so now her entire bottom/feet are semi soaked in her own urine. If I get close enough to sniff, I can definitely smell her, so I'm sure she can smell herself.

I saw that on other sites that IF YOU MUST wash, put them in about half an inch to an inch of water to rinse off and then pat dry or blow dry. I just don't know if it's too traumatizing for such a young bunny. Any advice? Thanks!

Pete

featpete wrote:
I just got my new Netherland Dwarf a few days ago and she's about nine weeks old. I know that in general you're not supposed to bathe them, but I also know that it's unhealthy for them to live in their own urine.

I let her out of the cage for a bit today and she ended up peeing on the hardwood floor, which she then walked through, so now her entire bottom/feet are semi soaked in her own urine. If I get close enough to sniff, I can definitely smell her, so I'm sure she can smell herself.

I saw that on other sites that IF YOU MUST wash, put them in about half an inch to an inch of water to rinse off and then pat dry or blow dry. I just don't know if it's too traumatizing for such a young bunny. Any advice? Thanks!

Pete
wouldnt reccomend it... rabbits are self cleaning. unless it happens with frequency i'd avoid it. if you're really worried just use a wet washcloth to wipe down her butt

NO. She will probably automatically start cleaning her feet. I let all of mine out the other day and they dumped the cats water and everyone ran through it. As soon as the 6 of them were put back they all started washing their feet.

Hi Pete,

I kinda disagree with not cleaning the bunny. What I do if their is a lot of urine on their feet or bum, I take a wash cloth with warm water and wipe them clean. Then I dry them off with a nice soft towel. Just my opinion, I'm not saying it's right.

I look at it how would like to walk around with a bad odor on you? I wouldn't!

Susan:)

Thank you all for your responses! She was grinding her teeth all night which made me REALLY worried. Today I noticed that her feet were still wet from peeing herself and so I put a minimal amount of warm water in the sink and let her sit there for a bit. After I dried her I noticed that the smell has DEFINITELY gone down and that she seems to be okay. She's pretty much gone to sleep and has stopped grinding from what I can tell.

Thanks again for the help!

If she continues to have urine on her bottom and feet it's likely a sign that she has issues - specifically a UTI - and needs to see a vet. It's not normal for rabbits to sit in their urine.

Was she grinding her teeth when you were petting her? Did she look relaxed? Or was she hunched up in a corner doing it? If she was hunched up while grinding, that's concerning.

Oh man, most of her grinding has stopped but she still is doing it somewhat (and all of last night she was grinding her teeth in a corner). I just saw that she has a semi wet pile of feces and she hasn't been eating!

I know that these are all bad signs and that I need to get her to a vet, but does anyone know what issues these might be?

featpete wrote:
Oh man, most of her grinding has stopped but she still is doing it somewhat (and all of last night she was grinding her teeth in a corner). I just saw that she has a semi wet pile of feces and she hasn't been eating!

I know that these are all bad signs and that I need to get her to a vet, but does anyone know what issues these might be?
sounds like gastric stasis, vet aasap, especially with such a young bunny

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. Since I had just gotten her about two days ago at the time, I called up the breeder and she volunteered to take her back so that she could look after her (and I assume take her to the vet).

I now have one of her siblings and he is the complete opposite! Eats and plays all day long and is very affectionate. Thanks again for all the help. I hope she'll be able to recover with the proper help.

Next time adopt a rabbit. The shelter's are full of them. Breeders only contribute to the staggering pet overpopulation problem we have. There are plenty of healthy, happy, cute bunnies of all different breeds in Stockton.

bunnymother22 wrote:
Next time adopt a rabbit. The shelter's are full of them. Breeders only contribute to the staggering pet overpopulation problem we have. There are plenty of healthy, happy, cute bunnies of all different breeds in Stockton.
Considering this forum is not only rescue-friendly, but breeder friendly as well,this statementis somewhat inappropriate. I'm sure many people would take offense to this.

Agreed Erin. That comment was offensive to breeders. Sure people should not breed mixes that they can't find homes for but many breeders on here are very responsible and breed to better the breed.
Without breeders, you would not have the many beautiful breeds of rabbits we have today. I am going to assume you have not met responsible breeders or been educated on rabbit shows or the American Rabbit Breeder's Association.
Sure there are many nice rabbits in shelters but buying a rabbit from a reputable breeder that breeds for quality is a great choice for a pet as well :)

It is also important to remember that you can get healthy rabbits from both breeders and shelters but you can also get rabbits with issues. While it may take a bit longer to show up if the rabbit comes from a shelter, that does not mean it will not happen. It is not the fault of the breeder, shelter, or owner, sometimes things just happen even when we take the best care of them.

Responsible breeders don't contribute to the pet population is shelters. Many will take back a rabbit if the owner can't care for it anymore to prevent the rabbit from ending up in a shelter. Breeders do care about their rabbits and do refuse sales if they don't feel it is right or the person is not ready for a rabbit. Some will also help buyers to get ready and provide help afterwards as well if needed.

While it is nice to adopt, it is not for everyone. Some people do like to know what they are getting or want something specific that is not in a local shelter. I know that while I would like to rescue, I also tend to be looking for something specific. If the shelter happens to have that then I would adopt, but I will (and have) gone to breeders as well.

To be honest, the comment has pretty much nothing to do with this thread and grave digging without adding something useful just seems tactless to me.

Many people who are not actual breeders contribute to this problem, and are commonly called backyard breeders. Registered, educated and experienced breeders do not contribute to this problem, and as said in the above post, will usually take back a bunny or at least help rehome or help with an issue so to ensure the animal does not go to a shelter and then on to an unhealthy environment.

All this breeder vs shelter is a little off topic but I just wanted to mention that I got my rabbit Willow from a breeder, I would have loved to have gotten one from a shelter but to my knowledge there are no rabbits in shelters in my area, I would have to drive a distance to find one . So basically what I am trying to say is that I am thankful to have found a breeder because I probably would have had to buy my rabbit from a pet store which I really did not want or at TSC at Easter time when thy carry bunnies and chicks etc.

Agreed. There are good breeders and bad breeders. It can be the same with getting a bunny from a shelter. Shelter animals can come sick as well..

And above and beyond that..Quit fighting everyone.. +P Go take a peak at the post about the use of the Infirmatory thread and apply it to this part of the forum as well. ;)

I agree we should not be discussing breeders versus shelters as it is unnecessary and off-topic. Everybody has opinions and I assume it is against the rules to talk down about either option. The only reason I posted was to defend breeders as I felt offended by something posted here and felt it needed to be said.:)

Latest posts

Back