DIY Enclousure - Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all! I am trying to build a bigger enclosure for my bun, Pickles. Currently, she is *mostly* free-roaming in my bedroom. She goes into her pen at night and when we leave the house (for the simple reason that we have other animals and she's a little escape artist!!)

I am trying to build a sort-of indoor hutch so that I can customize it to the size I need in order to fit my bedroom. I already have the plans set up, however, I was wondering what I could do to the bottom/floor of the hutch in order to make it waterproof? The floor would be built out of plywood, but I want something that I can use to waterproof it while keeping it safe for her in the case that she tries to nibble on it a bit. Any suggestions?

Also, if anyone has any suggestings about wood stain that is non-toxic to rabbits, that would be extremely helpful! Thanks a bunch!

The easiest thing for on top of the plywood would be rolled vinyl/linoleum. The trick is to cover the edges so bun can't get an edge to start chewing. This can be done as easily as covering the edges with a piece of wood molding. If you go with this option, look for one with the most texture and roughness on the surface so it won't be too slippery. You can go to a box hardware store and feel the texture of different options. There is usually 1 or 2 that have a more gritty texture.

Another option would be planks of wood laminate flooring... one that states that it is waterproof. This can work if you have the skill to manage it.

The easiest thing for on top of the plywood would be rolled vinyl/linoleum. The trick is to cover the edges so bun can't get an edge to start chewing. This can be done as easily as covering the edges with a piece of wood molding. If you go with this option, look for one with the most texture and roughness on the surface so it won't be too slippery. You can go to a box hardware store and feel the texture of different options. There is usually 1 or 2 that have a more gritty texture.

Another option would be planks of wood laminate flooring... one that states that it is waterproof. This can work if you have the skill to manage it.
Thank you very much, that's a wonderful idea! I think I will definitely try that.

Back