Digging everything out of litterbox

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aisia

Reaction score
I am new to Rabbits, I just got mine 2 days ago. So far so good. The main problem is he is not litter box trained. No problem, I don't mind training him but the problem I have is...everytime I put litter, or anything else to be used in the litter box, he digs it out. He will dig and dig and dig till the box is empty then look at me like he did a good job. I've tried bedding, paper, litter, just about anything you can use in a litterbox and still it gets dug out instantly.

Any advice?

I have a rabbit that liked to do that too. So I made a grate to put over the litter. I used 1/2"x1" welded wire, but there's also this instructional using plastic light grating.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f69/stormhaven-litter-system-step-step-instructions-48510/

I'm not sure how something like this would affect litter training, as my rabbit was already litter trained. So you may need to go with a cat litter box with tall sides until your rabbit is trained.

All of the above suggestions are good. You could get a plastic storage box that is large enough for him to fit in. If you get one with high sides you could either cut an opening in one side in which he could hop in and out of or you could just cut one whole side down. Make sure you leave enough height in the side so he has to jump in and out and so the litter also is contained but he would make less of a mess with only one low side.

I took in two buns from my neighbor. They were not litter trained and would do the same as your bun in the large cat litter box I got them. I have since replaced it with a low plastic storage box that is much larger in area and they have stopped with the digging.

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful ideas. I will give them a try and let you know how it works!

I have gone though this as well! My bunny, Chive, started to dig everything out of her litter pan.

I googled a few solutions and one worked instantly! I went to the dollar store and got some cookie cooling racks, they sit on the bottom of the litter pan and you put the litter on top. Chive immediately stopped digger in her litter pan! I'd definitely give it a try, only cost me $2.

I also use a huge cat litter box from the dollar store.

:)

I also use a grid on my little box. I made my grid out of eggcrate(plastic fluorescent lighting grid). I use a rubber made bin for the litter box, screwed screws a few inches above the litter and the grid sits on the screws that stick out. His poops fall through the grid so it stays clean and he can't dig.

My rabbits never would do this, but one time I got the bright idea to line the box with newspaper before adding the bedding to make it easier to clean. Despite the stack of paper they had to chew on, they dug everything out of the litter box just to get to the paper at the bottom. So see if there's something you're using or some part of the litter box they think is just buried treasure.

Nikki used to dig hers empty till I got a huge corner pan. She'll move the litter around sometimes now, but, for the most part she just leaves it and uses it for the original purpose. I also had a problem with Spike--he'd hike his butt up and was so close to the edge that his pee would land outside the litter box. I put it inside a high sided cardboard box and cut him a small entry--problem solved.

Latest posts

Back