Diet for Young B/G

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shooni

Reaction score
Hi All, this is my first post other than intro so hope I do it right:blushan: I am knew to all things bunny but have researched my backside to be sure I do the best for my 12 wk British giant bunny. I have a few questions regarding diet:
1) breeder had him on 'Ewe & Lamb pellets (have stayed with this) how long should I keep him on these? Then what do I give him if anything?
2) what age is ok to give green veg? I currently give him celery tops,carrot tops,bok choy, parsley,fresh grass and he's tried a baby carrot along with his hay & pellets, Is this too much?
3)He sleeps on top of his hutch (sorry, should of mentioned he a house rabbit:blushan:) should I put something soft on top so he don't get pressure spots?

Soooo many questions but I'll just start with these as his nutrition is very important to me AND him:biggrin:
All advice is muchly appreciated by this 'NNN' ('nervous nana newbie)

cheers shooni

In my opinion those pellets could be higher in fiber, the House Rabbit Society's reccomendation is at least 18%. If Oxbow is available in you area I would consider getting that. You can keep him on pellets for his whole life if you want to, mine don't have pellets and it hasn't affected them at all. Whether you do or don't doesn't matter much either way unless there is a medical concern.

It's perfectly fine to start giving him veggies at 12 weeks though I would go very slowly. The HRS recommends less than 1/2 an ounce to start with.

You can put something soft on top of the hutch to give him an option as to where he can sleep. I have a pet bed on top of my rabbit's hutch and more often than not he'll sleep in it, but sometimes he'll sleep next to it.

I suggest you take a look at this page as it will probably answer a lot of your questions about diet: http://rabbit.org/faq-diet/

Thankyou snowytoshi, I have been looking for somewhere down here that sells the Oxbow that you suggested but not having much luck, I may have to order it in. Thankyou again

cheers shooni

Latest posts

Back